Jig to Hold Head in Lathe

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus, sounds like you had a wonderful career. Would have loved being on the big ships, but not sure I could survive working in the engine room while battling gale force winds. Without a horizon to stare at, I‘d end up sloshing around the bilge in a pool of my own vomit. Give me a job in the wheelhouse!
I have a small slide hammer for things like spindles and recently bought a bigger kit for pulling bearings out of blind holes. It was cheap and thought it would save me some time, but it was crap. Would have been better to make my own. Might take me a few try’s to get the correct hardness? Still learning…. I’m a late bloomer. Spent most of my career wearing a monkey suit, all of it on dry land.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I am not clever enough to make or use a jig to go in a lathe but I did make a clutch shoe adjusting jig.
20211127_094500.jpg
20211127_094338.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
This is a thingy to squeeze those suspension units to remove & refit with out swearing , not that I do as being a dockyard apprentice and at sea forty years never have to need to use it as I was told once swearing is a sign of lack of education. The end forks are coated with heat shrink to preserve the paint work.

IMG_3969.jpeg

I Think it is self explanatory with a bit of bed angle iron and stud bar

IMG_3968.jpeg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Exhaust pipe flanging tool. Anneal pipe before clamping then poke 1/8" proud then with a straight pain hitting from inside. Now you can remove that tatty exhaust nut and get it re-chomed or make a S/S one

IMG_3971.jpeg

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
MV-H, how do you use it?
You put the shoe on the jig. As in these pictures. Pivot the shoe and when the spring is adjusted correctly the hole on the shoe should line up with the small hole in the jig and the C11/1 pin thing should not compress the springs any more. Not a very good description. As the shoes are not symmetrical the C7 uses the other side of the jig. Somewhere someone gave the dimensions for this jig. Eugene had one made and I copied his before he scuttled off to New Zealand.
20211127_162650.jpg
20211127_162654.jpg

Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
The factory jig is fine for shoes that are factory accurate. There are shoes that were rescued from the scrap bin for which the factory jig doesn't work. The pic shows the polished area where the shoe was cut for a bush, relative to the original factory hole. Cheers, Stu.

Attachments

• Photo0068.jpg
    Photo0068.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22