Jig to Hold Head in Lathe

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some other kit for the spring boxes, in situ.
IMG_20191208_154237.jpg
IMG_20191208_154231.jpg
IMG_20191208_153954.jpg
IMG_20191208_154237.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Bruce my handsome, the hight of some of these engines is five to six decks starting from the tank top level, the stroke of the engines is up to 2.5 m. I've always regretted not taking a photo of Neville Higgins (the Professor) inside the scavenge space of one of these engines all beautifully clean white painted and opening up a crank case door with the turning gear engaged turning the engine over very slowly I find most impressive even now and I moved from steam driven ships to Motor `Ships in 1972 as steam was far too expensive to run but was much more reliable smoother, quieter and sweet smelling. Neville brought a group of owners down in Gothenburg about 1993 as we delivered bananas there every month. Yes it has been a very interesting life especially for the family as Christine use to come with the children for up to five months to a time and taking them ashore in the banana ports was an education of it's own and they went home with more advanced education as Christine would only teach whilst at sea. Doing Disney Land, Long Beach "(Even made it to South California AGM in 1993, then Seattle, going up the Hudson River to Albany passing through New York and winter time smashing through ice, (terrifying sound when in the engine control room). It was a shorter "stand by" in the winter as there was no small boats moored up other wise too much wake was created.

brian gains

VOC Member
looking at these inspired tools and jigs leads me to the conclusion that I must be from the Graham Chapman school of tool making; far too lightweight for endurance and invariably falls apart as the last collet goes in or with the last click of the torque wrench ratchet.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
3 nice simple ones ?,
Left is a Twin clutch holder, Thanks to Roy Cross, Just an old plate with a length of strip welded to it,
A gutted spark Plug welded to a bit of rod, To hold a cylinder head,
An old Car type rear axle flange puller, Hydraulic, With the side cut out , To miss the main shaft.
To press out the big end pin, Out of a Vincent flywheel.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_110212 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211128_110212 (2).jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 37

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
One of my first pullers, half time pinions, dynamo drives and Johnson outboard engine fly wheels made from a piece of 3/8" plate with a 3/8" BSF Alan screw.

IMG_3970.jpeg

Top two tools are for valve guide lock ring removal made from socket extensions.
The tubes are for putting in cam & follower spindles to the correct depth when cases are hot.

IMG_3973.jpeg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Vincent my handsome, the cam follower & rocker arms look to be newly manufactured, are they ? . The oil hole in the end of the follower is worse than useless as it leaves a nipple on top of the cam lobe eventually. Pressurised oil through the spindle and squirts directly in the right location onto the face of the follower via the hole on the leading face of cam.
In your box of a truck load more gadgets the gear box cover is extensively cut away for what purpose ?

Cyborg

VOC Member
And how about a photo of whatever you are using to spin that follower to 3,000rpm.
If I tried to do that, the resulting explosion would level the neighbourhood.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Yes oilhole is useless. I grind the folower shorter, so is lighter. And yes a timed hole in the cam spindle, to the hole in the cam works better.
More later, made up a double G rotor oilpump....

Gearbix cover i made "invisible" so with a dentist mirror i can set the play on the gearbox pinions the same, and when 2 to 3th have the one driven, meshing before the other, but thats more determined by the cam.
Maybe it changes better.
One bike does, the other takes double clutching....