Headlamp codes

GBewley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here you go. This is off my original paint 6/1950 Red touring Rapide. Original sealed beam, btw. Sorry about the clutter in the background!
IMG_8330.jpeg
IMG_8332.jpeg
IMG_8331.jpeg

Would it be possible for some kind soul to post a photo of the North American shell and rim.

GBewley

VOC Member
Yes, forever confusing, but we need some way to differentiate! Excellent line on the 8" units!

The Vincent factory in the parts books and works records documents always refered to the smaller headlight shell as 7" irregardless of wherther they fitted the sealed beam unit or the standard unit. Miller also call it 7" and don't list a 6.5" at all. For some unknown reason Vincent owners always refer to it as the 6.5" headlight shell and its probably because the standard (non USA) lens unit measures 6.5" diameter.

Rather strangely this confusion doesn't occur with the 8" unit.

Simon

GBewley

VOC Member
One has to be careful. There were often changes from the general specs, which were often filed out in advance, and the final specifications. This is the beauty of the new scanned works records (thank you, Simon!) and the old microfiche ones. With the new, one can differentiate between handwritings and such which was not really possible in the microfiche copies. I find the forensic side of restoration quite interesting and enlightening.

Not sure what this means if anything. Under “Remarks” is reads 7” lamp, so maybe different than # shown here.
View attachment 32761

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The Vincent factory in the parts books and works records documents always refered to the smaller headlight shell as 7" irregardless of wherther they fitted the sealed beam unit or the standard unit. Miller also call it 7" and don't list a 6.5" at all. For some unknown reason Vincent owners always refer to it as the 6.5" headlight shell and its probably because the standard (non USA) lens unit measures 6.5" diameter.

Rather strangely this confusion doesn't occur with the 8" unit.

Simon

Thats what I always thought. Yet depending on the person you may get 7" or 6.5"

It looks like to two 7" buckets look very similar and the main difference being the rolled edge to accept the sealed beam rim.

Always good see good pictures.

craig

VOC Member
Here you go. This is off my original paint 6/1950 Red touring Rapide. Original sealed beam, btw. Sorry about the clutter in the background!View attachment 32762View attachment 32764View attachment 32763

Thanks for posting valuable pictures of this Miller sealed beam unit.
Your sealed beam bulb, GE 6v with no alignment tits, appears OEM as well.
If this Miller sealed beam is still available, is there a photo of the inside the shell and the dipper switch associated please?
Thank you
Craig

Last edited:

Somer

VOC Member
There seemed to be a mix of what came to the states. Typically the larger sealed beam units but not always. I heard but not confirmed that the sealed beam was also mandatory in France then? Problem with the sealed beam is that with a Miller generator the whole system won't "balance" out. Just like the government;"A little debt".

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
We found that an 8 inch lamp looks better on Bramptons,which are on my brothers Meteor.
The B rapide has a Lucas 7 inch headlight which was specified on the Dec '47 build sheet..Is anything 'standard'..John
Which Lucas headlamp is specified on the B Rapide, please? My May '48 Rapide #705 has a Lucas SSU700 Headlamp with 6V sealed beam bulb fitted, which I am planning to replace with the 6.5 AKA 7 inch Miller. The shell has a poorly done (runs) black wrinkle paint. I assumed the Lucas was not original as the Brampton forks have been chrome plated at some point but bike has later been used for racing as front mudguard is absent, rear is valenced but no stays are present, seat chopped up to reduce size and height, and tail lamp is later (60's) Lucas. Some time ago, Simon was kind enough to tell me the pertinent information from the build sheet but did not mention a Lucas headlamp, which I think would be an oddity worth mentioning. Thank you. John.

craig

VOC Member
The B rapide has a Lucas 7 inch headlight which was specified on the Dec '47 build sheet..Is anything 'standard'..John
Can you post the build sheet to confirm Lucas 7" headlamp on this B Rapide?
I recall viewing many build sheets for 1947-48 and never seeing anything but 7" scrawled near the lighting text or 7"lamp down in remarks.

7inchremarkstext.jpeg
7inchremarkstext2.jpeg

After posting these pics, and seeing Lucas as the magneto description, maybe that (Lucas) was also mistakenly applied to the headlamp description instead of understanding 7" was Miller 74CV.

Last edited: