Headlamp codes

silver47

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Greg, I have a hard to find new old stock split rim headlamp shell and rim, with the notch at the 11 o'clock position advertised on Ebay.

GBewley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just had a customer bike in...Series B Dec. '48 build...which also had the 7" light. I spoke to the machine registrar (customer didn't have records with him) and discovered that was correct. Surprised me!

We found that an 8 inch lamp looks better on Bramptons,which are on my brothers Meteor.
The B rapide has a Lucas 7 inch headlight which was specified on the Dec '47 build sheet..Is anything 'standard'..John

LoneStar

VOC Member
Some Miller doco - no info on how the models were deployed on Vincents, though.
Miller components.jpgMiller components2.jpgMiller headlamp01.jpgMiller headlamp02.jpgMiller headlamp03.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not sure what this means if anything. Under “Remarks” is reads 7” lamp, so maybe different than # shown here.
413AF28C-7EF9-47BF-B252-1E96D3C2327F.jpeg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Vincent factory in the parts books and works records documents always refered to the smaller headlight shell as 7" irregardless of wherther they fitted the sealed beam unit or the standard unit. Miller also call it 7" and don't list a 6.5" at all. For some unknown reason Vincent owners always refer to it as the 6.5" headlight shell and its probably because the standard (non USA) lens unit measures 6.5" diameter.

Rather strangely this confusion doesn't occur with the 8" unit.

Simon