Headlamp codes

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a set of Ray Daniels' Bramptons and they look brilliant. I believe he has a jig to get everything set up correctly. The forks arrived ready to fit, painted with spring fitted. My only concern with Mike Breeding's forks is they are significantly heavier than standard. This could detract from the excellent handling of the forks but maybe someone who has them fitted can be more objective on this matter. I also wonder whether the heavier tubing may foul Lightning brake plates. Either way it is alway good to have the option of which supplier you want to use. I know Ray has increased his prices because he was annoyed people were buying a set then placing them straight onto e-bay for a quick £1,000+ profit.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
The first 7 inch Miller Head Light I saw was fitted to the prototype B Shadow JRO 102 early 1948, then after that 8inch faded out as Miller ended production of them they still came through until late 1948 I think at that time Vincents were the only users, so Miller empty there stock on to us

Rob H

VOC Member
The first 7 inch Miller Head Light I saw was fitted to the prototype B Shadow JRO 102 early 1948, then after that 8inch faded out as Miller ended production of them they still came through until late 1948 I think at that time Vincents were the only users, so Miller empty there stock on to us

Some 7" headlamps were definately fitted to UK rapides in Dec of 47, I now know of 2 bikes like this. Perhaps a more definitive answer can be found in the works records what period the 7" were fitted.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Looking at the frontispiece photo in David Carrick's book of a line up of 1948 B Rapides awaiting despach there are 27 bikes in all by my reckoning. Most of them appear to have 8" headlights, one with a flat diffused glass and 4 at least with 7" headlights.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The 7 inch Miller headlamps I have seen on these bikes do not have the anchor plates that are riveted to the sides of the 6 1/2 inch versions, and they are deeper from front to back as well, plus I think the attaching bolts are 5/16 BSF whereas the 6 1/2 inch ones have 3/8 BSF threads. There appears to be more versions of these Miller headlamp units used by the factory than simply the 8 inch for the most of the "B"'s and then the 6 1/2 inch version we are all familiar with.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The 7 inch Miller headlamps I have seen on these bikes do not have the anchor plates that are riveted to the sides of the 6 1/2 inch versions, and they are deeper from front to back as well, plus I think the attaching bolts are 5/16 BSF whereas the 6 1/2 inch ones have 3/8 BSF threads. There appears to be more versions of these Miller headlamp units used by the factory than simply the 8 inch for the most of the "B"'s and then the 6 1/2 inch version we are all familiar with.

I agree Greg, a couple of the Miller 7" lamps I have seen on North American bikes have the same shell and rim riveted spring set up as the 6.5 rim and shell. These are also deeper and more like the Velocette 7" miller.

So it seems there are more styles than just the regular 6.5" , 8" shell and 7" shell.

I will have to check out the Bickerstaff book again as there are allot of great photos in detail.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I agree Greg, a couple of the Miller 7" lamps I have seen on North American bikes have the same shell and rim riveted spring set up as the 6.5 rim and shell. These are also deeper and more like the Velocette 7" miller.

So it seems there are more styles than just the regular 6.5" , 8" shell and 7" shell.

I will have to check out the Bickerstaff book again as there are allot of great photos in detail.

also no riveted side attachments, they have a moulded shell like the lucas lamps.

silver47

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just finished a total resto on a Shadow that came from a well known collection in the states, and this has one of the Miller 6 1/2 inch headlamps to suit the US market. The shell is identical to the more common Miller type except for the rim section at the very front, this to suit the split clamp type of rim as has been mentioned earlier. The chrome rim is not a genuine Miller one although I believe I have seen them available on EBay.........If you want to go to that expense. Anyway, the rim tapers outward from the shell, thus allowing the larger sealed beam as originally installed. Whereas the other more common 6 1/2 inch Miller shell, well it's chrome rim is a completely different shape, and tapers inward with a nice radius to suit a Miller glass which fits through the rim with a hole diameter of about 6 inches. The actual overall total width of the glass is 6 1/2 inches. The shell of the US variant has a cut out in the very front of the steel rim at about the 11 o'clock position when looking from the front, and this is to locate on one of the 3 locating tangs that the sealed beam unit has. I have found this is pretty much the same as the Lucas pre- focus type of lamp/reflector unit as well, and this is what I have installed in this headlight assembly, as I am not sure of the availability of the sealed beam lamp for a 6 volt system, these days. Cheers.......Greg.