Headlamp codes

stevee

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm trying to understand what headlamps might have been originally fitted to both my Meteor and my Rapide. The Works Order Form uses the code 30E for the 1950 series C Rapide and also 1950 series B Meteor. Can anyone illuminate for me:rolleyes:? Thanks

Albervin

VOC Member
By 1950 all Vincents would have been fitted with the 6 1/2" Miller unit unless an 8" was found in a dusty corner.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
I think you will find that 30E refers to the Miller rear light originally fitted. No doubt the headlamp also has a Miller code but I cannot recollect it, if I ever knew it!

nkt267

VOC Member
We found that an 8 inch lamp looks better on Bramptons,which are on my brothers Meteor.
The B rapide has a Lucas 7 inch headlight which was specified on the Dec '47 build sheet..Is anything 'standard'..John

davidd

VOC Member
By 1950 all Vincents would have been fitted with the 6 1/2" Miller unit unless an 8" was found in a dusty corner.

Except for the Export models with the smaller Miller headlamp. The USA and Canada models, for example have them. You can usually see the difference in the clamp holding the rim. On the bigger 6.5" Miller's there is a spring and toggle clamp. On the smaller Miller there is a sideways screw that tightens the rim like a ring clamp and the rim is split. These are usually used with sealed beam lights.

David

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Some Export had 7" some 6.5" (Gidraulics)

Most other's 6.5 (Girdraulics)

Bramptons 8" although did see a picture from the factory as part of David Bowens slide show and as I recall there was a brampton with 6.5

highbury731

VOC Member
Some Export had 7" some 6.5" (Gidraulics)
I have borrowed (and hope to buy) a 7" Miller which I think originated on a Velocette. It's a little deeper than the exact correct 7" Miller which some Vins got. Will it give clearance problems with an AVO front damper? These are fatter than a Vincent damper

davidd

VOC Member
Eugene,

Sorry, your are correct, my memory went the other way. The export is larger, so I guess it is called a 7". Anyway, the 7" has the split rim.

David

stevee

VOC Member
If 30E refers to the rear lamp (thank you Sakura) then I guess the Lamp code that precedes it on the Works Order Form refers to the headlamp. On both my machines it difficult to read - my American supplied Touring Spec Rapide it looks like "Lamp 94 E.T" but on the UK Meteor "Lamp 9H ET" - but I guess it is the same - is this therefore the code for a 6 1/2" Miller?
Steve

Albervin

VOC Member
An American export bike soud had the Miller shell but the sealed beam lamp would be installed. These did not use Miller lenses or Miller rims.