Headlamp codes

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The factory never used Lucas headlights on series B and they were all Miller and I have never come across a Lucas headlight on a works order form for a series B. Your bike Texas John shows the standard Miller lighting entry but in the remarks section mentions 7" lamp and so that will be the smaller Miller unit.

The way the build sheets were filled in usually was the basic build spec was filled in by office staff for the shop floor to follow, sort of like a recipe. Then as the bike was built then any alterations were either written in any spare gaps on the form or in the remarks area. This can usually be seen by the different handwriting and sometimes the different colour pen, details which you cannot see on black & white copies of the documents.

When it comes to the lights then for some unknow reason the same entry 94E (which is the 8" unit) was always written even after the smaller unit became standard. I assume the office staff initially filling in the form didn't know any better. Its the 7" or 8" comment which should be noted as that was what the assembler actually fitted and he didn't know what it was going to be until he opened the Miller box as it was all down to pot luck on what Miller had supplied on that day.

The first reference to 7" headlights I can see in the factory records is around begining of November 1947 and then there is a mixture of both 7" & 8" all the way through to the last 8" unit around March 1949 and around June 1949 they stopped recording the headlight size so by then the 8" unit must have completely stopped been provided by Miller.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The factory never used Lucas headlights on series B and they were all Miller and I have never come across a Lucas headlight on a works order form for a series B. Your bike Texas John shows the standard Miller lighting entry but in the remarks section mentions 7" lamp and so that will be the smaller Miller unit.

The way the build sheets were filled in usually was the basic build spec was filled in by office staff for the shop floor to follow, sort of like a recipe. Then as the bike was built then any alterations were either written in any spare gaps on the form or in the remarks area. This can usually be seen by the different handwriting and sometimes the different colour pen, details which you cannot see on black & white copies of the documents.

When it comes to the lights then for some unknow reason the same entry 94ET (which is the 8" unit) was always written even after the smaller unit became standard. I assume the office staff initially filling in the form didn't know any better. Its the 7" or 8" comment which should be noted as that was what the assembler actually fitted and he didn't know what it was going to be until he opened the Miller box as it was all down to pot luck on what Miller had supplied on that day.

The first reference to 7" headlights I can see in the factory records is around begining of November 1947 and then there is a mixture of both 7" & 8" all the way through to the last 8" unit around March 1949 and around June 1949 they stopped recording the headlight size so by then the 8" unit must have completely stopped been provided by Miller.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar
In the well known 1948 photo of B Rapides (notably inside the front cover of Peter Carrick's book 'Vincent -HRD') awaiting despatch there is a mixture of 8 inch and & 7 (6 1/2 ?) inch headlamps even including one 8 inch with a flat diffused glass.

craig

VOC Member
I see all of Millers offerings on this catalog sheet - Headlamp, Dynamo, Regulator, taillamps.

Early in the Vincent Works Order Form data fill, prior to build 50,
the dynamo got listed as a D92 instead of a D9S and continued later as just 92 until Form change.
but the H/Lamp was listed as 94E and T/Lamp as 30E.
Somewhere in mid 1947-
The 92 was moved close to H in H/Lamp.....and "s" was added to H/lamps.
The "E" was moved close to T/Lamp and again "s" was added to T/Lamps
So instead of reading Miller DYN D.9S H/Lamp 94E T/Lamp 30E
The form was , for most early Bs, Miller DYN 92H/Lamps 94 ET/Lamps 30E

MillerEletricForVincent.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig
Though what you have written is correct, your trying to read too much into it. What was written onto the forms for the lighting equipment was hand written and the spacings change with different handwriting and different persons filling it in. Also the entry is just copied in parrot fashion by who ever was writing it on the day and this was done before the bike was built. The Dynamo reference is a prime example of it as the 3.5" unit was D9S which you correctly assume was written wrong as D92, and that diameter dynamo was stopped been used in mid 1948, but whoever filled in the forms in the office carried on writing D92 and not the correct 3" dynamo unit part number right up to when the forms changed mid 1950. The same occured with the change from 8" headlight to 7" where the written down part numbers never changed right up to mid 1950 when the forms changed. So you have to look for the 8" or 7" comments added by the actual builder of the bike and ignore the 94E entry.

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
It is difficult to get around the mind set of a company's activity 70 years ago, fighting material shortages export imperatives and worn-out machinery What seems important now like engine & frame numbers, worry in light of component shortages about exact adherence to original design specifications, lack of tourqe figures ( when Joe on the line was tightening bolts on a spitfire a few years ago) would all seem strange things to worry about to anyone in Stevenage back then.
Actually I think Vincent HRD did rather well in the day it was after all an upcountry expensive motorcycle I dont think low volume cheaper machines had that level of records or subsequent documentation (another view formed by daring to restore a few more makes contemporary with Vins)

craig

VOC Member
I am not sure how many HRD Vincent actually received a Miller No94E headlamp as their 8" headlamp.
I have only seen one No94E lamp shell and it was stamped No94E. See pic.

However the 84CV shells seem to be "stickered" internally with 84CV. This 84CV sticker would have been easily discarded within short period of time.

MillerNo94EStamp2.jpg
Miller84CVSticker2.jpg

Last edited:

highbury731

VOC Member
Dag = 1 - crusty bits dangling from the posterior of a sheep
2 - a humourist, as in, 'he's a bit of a dag'

'out dag' ? That's a bit of Kiwi slang that escapes me

Paul

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
My old salt spring island voc buddy msvh y3 coined the phrase as a way to outshine me. Its a bit of joke between him and I.