First Black Shadow - Stevenage workers

Trickymicky

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It appears to have a clutch cover relieved at the bottom, which i thought was series C. Did B Shadows get that cover from the outset? I'm pretty sure that JRO 102 has that type too.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Cyborg, what is the date and publication this Black Shadow Sports Rapide ad?
57DCAE51-22DE-493F-9CBC-B9390785551F.jpeg

Somer

VOC Member
It appears to have a clutch cover relieved at the bottom, which i thought was series C. Did B Shadows get that cover from the outset? I'm pretty sure that JRO 102 has that type too.
696 had the early clutch cover ( round). It would be contingent on the primary cover fitted as the later covers had a different pattern for the cover screws .

craig

VOC Member
as an interesting side note, I have not noticed before that The Motor Cycle and Motor Cycling can share duplicate covers.

1948 March 11 and March 25

Mar11Mar25.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Same advert?
I don't know, I don't have the issues of The Motor Cycle or Motor Cycling.
I hope VOC has the complete collection of Both magazines and additionally Moto-Revue and Moto Cylismo along with the Australian, German , Swedish , etc ....parallel magazines

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I don't know, I don't have the issues of The Motor Cycle or Motor Cycling.
I hope VOC has the complete collection of Both magazines and additionally Moto-Revue and Moto Cylismo along with the Australian, German , Swedish , etc ....parallel magazines
While it might be something to acquire as a gift one should remember that the VMCC has a complete set of at least the UK mags in its library. I spent quite a few days there reading the adverts to compile the SH Vincent price graphs

Flylow

VOC Member
I came across some information that I hope some of you know more about:
JRO 102 is regarded as the first/prototype Black Shadow. However, in the 1975 book Vincent HRD Story by Roy Harper written with Phil Vincent, Roy specifically describes that TWO first Black Shadows were built. As the story continues, Roy talks only about one bike with no specific mention about a second bike. He states that "The first one (of two?) was lent to the late Charles Markham and road tested in the Isle of Man..." Later in the story, he further states that "The first black Shadow, incidentally, suffers an early mishap..." as it caught fire. The engine was was not irreparably damaged, and it was bought by the late Ted Hampshire. Ted restored it and later sold it to Alan Richmond, chairman and editor of HRD Owners Club. Alan sold it in 1974.... Is this JRO 102??
Is there a known "second~first" Black Shadow??
Thanks!

Last edited: