First Black Shadow - Stevenage workers

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I always find it amusing this prototype v first production argument. In the factory records the first Shadow was JRO 102 which is the prototype Shadow as it says it on the factory records for the bike and so surely is the first produced? The Canadian bike in queston was the next Shadow and so was the 2nd Shadow made and there is no mention of "first production" title etc on its paperwork and suspect this is just a label attached to the bike by owners / sellers and others to bolster its status and value.

In the old photos of the Vincent factory I have never seen a production line as we define today. All I have ever seen is an area where individuals hand built bikes and certainly not a production line.

Dominique2

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The picture is of the proto-type , JRO102 . It still used the early style timing cover with raised oil galley ways. 1B/696 used the second generation timing cover. 1B/696 was also the 1st Shadow with a B suffix in the frame number. I owned 1B/696 for a long time.
Mine used the later one timing cover without raised oil galley ways, as 1B/696... as shown on Moto Revue Magasine even a first model was fitted afterward... no B on frame...

Somer

VOC Member
I always find it amusing this prototype v first production argument. In the factory records the first Shadow was JRO 102 which is the prototype Shadow as it says it on the factory records for the bike and so surely is the first produced? The Canadian bike in queston was the next Shadow and so was the 2nd Shadow made and there is no mention of "first production" title etc on its paperwork and suspect this is just a label attached to the bike by owners / sellers and others to bolster its status and value.

In the old photos of the Vincent factory I have never seen a production line as we define today. All I have ever seen is an area where individuals hand built bikes and certainly not a production line.

Somer

VOC Member
I suppose you could say it was a play on words. I always went by the owner's manual page 1 that said:"commencing with F10AB/1B/696."

vibrac

VOC Member
To further muddy the waters wasnt the epithet "Vincent Sports Rapide" actually used for the prototype and "Black Shadow" name applied retrospectively certainly publicity was released to the press with that name

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have never knowingly seen "Vincent Sports Rapide" mentioned in any of the works records documents for any bikes.
As for publicity brochure or press releases we all know how inaccurate those are. Wasn't it Phil Irving who called BHP - brochure horse power?

Dominique2

VOC Member
I have never knowingly seen "Vincent Sports Rapide" mentioned in any of the works records documents for any bikes.
As for publicity brochure or press releases we all know how inaccurate those are. Wasn't it Phil Irving who called BHP - brochure horse power?
Thanks Simon !