First Black Shadow - Stevenage workers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have never knowingly seen "Vincent Sports Rapide" mentioned in any of the works records documents for any bikes.
As for publicity brochure or press releases we all know how inaccurate those are. Wasn't it Phil Irving who called BHP - brochure horse power?
Here is a rather later version from the Factory (David Wrights book) but I am sure I have seen one earlier with "Vincent" instead of "Black Shadow"
1618047896785.png

vibrac

VOC Member
I think like the laboratory tested magneto the polished fin ends went by the wayside as production ramped up, it may well have been a change in end form of the fins and replica replacement barrels that led to that. All the emulations of polished ends I have seen (There was a glut in the late 60's) seem to be on square fin ends almost a turned finish whereas all the barrels I have to hand are quite tapered at the edges(which I believe is the most efficient) but that polished end does look good even if its an effect that does not age well....
get your files out!

brian gains

VOC Member
i don't know if the barrels i have fitted are replica or original, how do you tell, casting marks?, But as vibrac states, the fins do have a square profile edge.

craig

VOC Member
Will someone post the the Vincent pages from The Motor Cycle, February 19, 1948.
And the AD in The Motor Cycle from the very next week issue February 26, 1948.
Thank you
Craig

Here is the cover of Feb 19, 1948 Motor Cycling
I don't have a copy yet and the cover does not display any Vincent material, but I know inside it has an article on Black Shadow.

Feb19.jpg

Here are pages 12 and 13
I was able to purchase this copy and it is the mail to me.

Feb19BS.jpg

Last edited: