ET: Engine (Twin) Engine stand

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh Dear! Mine is smaller than yours. The picture by Magnetoman has really put me in my place. The sheer size of his erection is remarkable. As Bill mentioned in #33 above I have made 15 - 20 of the fibreglass supports, Picture below. These are strong enough to take a fully assembled twin and for me to stand on the footrests of the bike and then kick start it. They can be chopped about to accommodate an engine with an electric starter or to sit on one of the side entry scissor jacks. Although the first one was moulded off a 'C' crankcase they have shown that they are all equally at home with 'B' and 'D' engines. I am not currently doing any fibreglass work so either you borrow the mould and make your own or I pay someone to make them.
1608820550475.png

Cyborg

VOC Member
Great idea.... I would probably add ratchet straps to that and bolt the stand down to the bench just in case....

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We have something like your swivel in the UK, Called an "Easy Susie "?, Very cheap,
Rated at 1000 lbs, There was a youtube I put on the Forum of a Chap ridding His Bike
over a board with the swivel in the middle, So as to turn the Bike around in a small garage,
I made up the same thing with a Vincent wheel bearing.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I need a roundhouse setup. The V11 Sport seems to be getting heavier every day. I have been half heartedly looking for a hydraulic cylinder to bury in the floor, but haven’t found anything reasonably priced. Starting to sound like I need some sort of supervision.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
I cobbled together some bits of angle iron to screw to the primary side of the case. This allows me to carry out the entire engine build, bar the outer cover, on the automotive engine stand. I have another angle iron bracket which fixes to two through studs. This bracket coincidentally fits into a Guzzi engine stand which is positioned on my bike lift bench. I push the auto engine stand under my bike lift bench and lift the bench up to take the engine weight on the Guzzi engine support. I then build the bike over that.
The pic showing the engine hanging from the strops was to weigh it on a load cell.

Attachments

• 20180206_130114_resized.jpg
    20180206_130114_resized.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180206_130450_resized.jpg
    20180206_130450_resized.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180225_201637.jpg
    20180225_201637.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMGP3763.JPG
    IMGP3763.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 59

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes building the bike on the engine with the engine supported is the best way
For maintenance etc I have one of those front wheel push in holders on a wooden board I can fit in a van stand alone or bolted to then end of the lift. That just leaves the front wheel jobs to do ad hock

craig

VOC Member
Here is my latest Vincent twin engine stand , made from select exotic soft woods.
This is my adjustable nose stand.

20201226_195522.jpg