ET: Engine (Twin) Engine stand

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When Ron was on His own in Devon, He rigged up a Sliding Gantry ? ,
To either shift the Engine or the whole Bike to and from a fixed Bike bench,
At one time we had just the Engine up at shoulder height.
Just lift what ever and move the bench !,
Or Lift the Bike and slide it to over the Bench.
I need one of those. The engine hoist comes apart and gets stored behind a bench, but it’s a royal pain to deal with. Excuse the lesser marque in the photo. This was a little distraction from finishing the Comet. There is about a 5 yr time lapse between photos though.... it sat for about 4 1/2 years.

D5CE158A-0A7B-4E13-80E0-D95124B687A9.jpeg
351520E6-4D56-42F7-9D62-40777B9A469B.jpeg

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
One half of your Membership sec', Showing the Sliding Gantry Above His head.
I just use two pieces of angle iron bolted through a couple of the bottom through holes in the crankcase. This gives a nice flat surface that I can clamp down to my bike lift when working on my engine. I can pump the bike lift up and down to get a comfortable working height. If I made a purpose built floor-mounted engine stand it would be another thing to fall over as I have limited work-space. Like Ron, I have put a girder above my bike lift, not meant for lifting a great weight but OK to lift and position the rolling chassis over an engine, etc. The picture shows the girder in place and I have since mounted a wire rope winch to do the lifting.
The girder gives me side to side movement and I got wheels on the bike lift to give fore and aft movement.

20181015_110402_001.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron used an adjustable house Prop' near the middle for extra strength,
His too was a small shop, He built on the back of the garage, But big enough
for both of us to work in comfort.

Attachments

• IMGP5136 (2).JPG
    IMGP5136 (2).JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 54

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Too late we are already there !,
Looks like Ron has Carpet, Will that do ?.
We did most of the work high up, Can't think what went wrong !,
I have my Boots on so looks a like a ride soon ? :D .
I had some good times down there, A Super place to live,
Maybe one day !.

Cyborg

VOC Member
As much as I would like to attach a beam to the ceiling, it would probably be a bad idea. If going to the effort to install one, it may as well extend a few feet outside the overhead door. Unfortunately that is more conducive to hauling basket cases into the garage instead of rolling finished ones out. I think a davit attached to the centre support beam would be best in my case. Pick engines up and swing them over onto the bench. Better yet.... replace the bench with a decent lathe and use the davit for changing chucks.

As for the engine stand, I picked up a seat swivel for $10, so that can be added to whatever method I end up with.

PS if any of the local folk are reading this, I’m in the market for a lathe. Something with lots of grunt.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
While Cyborg went American-size with his engine hoist shown in post #31, presumably so he could carry bikes next to him in the front seat and still be able to remove them through the rear of his truck, I chose a more modest Canadian-size approach with mine.

HFEngineHoist.jpg

With the legs up the footprint of the Harbor Freight "1 ton" engine hoist is just 29½"×22" so it doesn't take up too much room when not in use, and thanks to the 22" min. dimension I can move it anywhere it's needed in my garage. However, I made three modifications that make it even more useful.

First, the hydraulic ram supplied with this engine hoist is much too wimpy, so I replaced it with a 6000 lb. ram, also from HF. This ram gives the hoist a genuine 1 T lift when the arm is fully extended (1.6 T when retracted).

Next, I raised it by 15", which makes it much more versatile. For example, the rolling workbench bench I have my Vincent mounted on is 29" above the floor, and the additional height of the lift lets the arm be horizontal above it for easier lifting (when the arm is at an angle, raising it also moves the object sideways, which can be inconvenient). This additional height also was essential when I bought my mill since with anything shorter I wouldn't have been able to lift it onto my flatbed trailer.

The third modification is a pair of shorter legs made from 2" tubing that I also drilled at an angle to make the lift "pigeon-toed" when they are installed. This lets the legs be slipped through the narrowest possible openings. The wheels on the tubing are at the same distance as the end of the arm in its shortest position so the hoist won't flip over. The shorter, narrower legs are the ones I use most often since they make the hoist much easier to use for most situations I encounter in the garage.

Cyborg

VOC Member
At the time, there didn’t seem to be any of those available. Don’t think they were on the market yet. I would have gone that route if one could be had for a reasonable price. Too late now because I don’t have the parking space any more. It’s had Perkins 654 marine engine/transmission assemblies swinging around on it, so reasonably hefty. Hopefully the truck won’t be subjected to any more abuse like that. I’ve sworn off bringing home any more basket cases. My brother gave me a life time supply on top of all the crap I already had.