H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Drum Brake and Shoe Tuning - Race Tech

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
DSC01075.JPG

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
it yust fits using the bearing of the wheel, note the lack of Rubber arround the drumView attachment 16317
HI,
the late Frank Willerton, to use his description, made an ingenious contraption for truing up Vincent brake drums on the wheel see forty years on page 46 mph476.
I believe the contraption is still somewhere in the York region perhaps some of my York may know more about it.
norm lord

Last edited by a moderator:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
it yust fits using the bearing of the wheel,
I'm jealous of your lathe because the throw of mine isn't enough to do this over the bed. However, it appears you're using a 3-jaw chuck to grip the wheel by one of the possibly-not-perfectly-round brake drums in order to turn the other. While this might produce a result that's "good enough" in practice, the runout of the 3-jaw chuck plus that of the drum will result in a "wobble" in the surface that's being turned. It would take about the same amount of effort to eliminate one of those sources of error by using a 4-jaw chuck, or both by turning the wheel between centers.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
HAHA there i got you magnetoman, this is a so called Forkardt chuck (wedge block principle) and still after 25 jrs takes apart within 0,05 mm RUNOUT. and high clamping force
I learned how to buy them as in my early days saw a piece 15kg runing 10 cm from my face with about 1500rpm, it made a hudge hole in a brick wall....

later i bought www.smwautoblok.com even better, with abit fiddling i get a piece at 0,01mm on the gauge.

all it takes to make good stuff, is good stuff!!

stu spalding

VOC Member
Sorry, folks. That clause in Greg's post "most old plates have bent pins" If they bend once, they'll do it again, and more easily every time you bend them back. As an old Yorky mate of mine would say, "think on." The only answer is a bridge across the tops of the pivot pins, after reducing the width of the shoe eyes. Mind you my engineering knowledge ended with e.e.cummings and started with Geoffrey Chaucer.
All this talk of bent pins brings to mind the Bert Weitz mod where pins were mounted in a separate, floating mounting which allowed the shoes to self centre. It's as good as a SLS setup gets, I've been using it for years with no problems. Article in MPH soon. Stu.