H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Drum Brake and Shoe Tuning - Race Tech

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now that I'm in the midst of sorting and checking brake bits, I can understand why it would be desirable to turn the drums while mounted on the wheel. Just out of curiosity... do you recall what sort of runout there was before you cut them?
I have had some that have needed a great deal of turning, as in with the cams just cracked I could take easily 30 thou and miss half the shoe, just had to keep opening the cam until I was contacting the whole shoe. That was a set of new brakes that wouldn't think about stopping, but after the owner reported a stunning change, although I'm sure Fred Flinstone noticed a stunning change when he got new linings as well....

Cyborg

VOC Member
What sort of apparatus do you use to turn the shoes? I'm assuming a mandrel to hold a brake plate and something to hold the shoes just off the cam.
Does this frighten you? That shiny looking stuff is glue. Hose clamps holding the linings in place until it sets. Remember not to ride in front of me.

Shoes.jpg
Shoes2.jpg

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I'm afraid when it comes to relining brakes I leave it to the pros. I have seen the results of a lining coming off from a front brake..........

Cyborg

VOC Member
As usual I was being a bit of a smart ass. They will be riveted after the epoxy sets. I've done it this way before with good success. The epoxy does a good job of holding the lining and it's completely bedded against the shoe. It also makes it easier to rivet. That doodad in the lower photo is for countersinking the holes in the lining for the rivets. There is quite a good mechanical bond with the epoxy, but I still rivet .. not because I don't trust the epoxy.. it's the lining material that makes me wonder some times. I do scuff the linings on the inside a bit to increase the bond.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I use a 3/4 fine thread bolt that has a solid disc/washer welded along the shank. Slide the brake plate on, then a couple of stiff spacers then the nut done up firm. Once mounted in the chuck, you then need to shift things around to get the plate spinning with as little run out as possible. Make sure the two fixed anchor pins are straight and parallel to one another first or else the shoes will be hanging out too much. Mount the shoes with two split pins and put a 0.010" shim between each cam face and the pad on the shoe, this lifts each shoe just enough for clearance once you assemble it up. Then machine the linings down so the assembly just slide into it's mating drum not too loose or too tight. When you remove the shims and refit the brake arms plus the H 13 serrated washers, the arm should move about 8 to 10 mm at the end of the arm with the brake plate assembly put into its mating drum. make sure the shoes have a chamfer on each end to stop the brake from being too grabby. Use some grease on the cam and boss in the brake plate, perhaps a little on the fixed pivots not too much, as it is easy for grease to end up on the linings rendering that brake near useless. I usually scuff up the drum surface with emery tape for improved friction whenever I have them apart too. To straighten bent anchor pins use two steel rulers to see how far out they are, hold the pate in the vice, pins above the jaws, and I use two lengths of steel pipe with a bore of 1/2 inch, slip these over each pin and bend the pins apart with hand pressure. Works very well and very quick, keep using the rulers to check on your progress, most old plates have bent pins. Cheers..............Greg.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The drums seem kind of wonky at first glance. I'll have to drag out the good chuck and have a better look at them. They really should be cut when bolted to the wheel and entered on the lathe, but no way I can swing that.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have a large mandrel that the backing plate mounts on with a large heavy flat washer and nut to hold it all firm.

I can't remember but I think I can swing an 18" in the gap, and maybe a 19. Last set I did (I think my A twin) I trued the brakes on the hubs before I laced the wheels as you can sneak the spokes in betwixt flange and drum. I recall taking almost nothing to true them.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The drums seem kind of wonky at first glance. I'll have to drag out the good chuck and have a better look at them. They really should be cut when bolted to the wheel and entered on the lathe, but no way I can swing that.
Machining the drums off the wheels is a waste of time. Find someone with a suitable lathe - you may need to remove the tyres first

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
As usual I was being a bit of a smart ass. They will be riveted after the epoxy sets. I've done it this way before with good success. The epoxy does a good job of holding the lining and it's completely bedded against the shoe. It also makes it easier to rivet. That doodad in the lower photo is for countersinking the holes in the lining for the rivets. There is quite a good mechanical bond with the epoxy, but I still rivet .. not because I don't trust the epoxy.. it's the lining material that makes me wonder some times. I do scuff the linings on the inside a bit to increase the bond.

Most brake linings we use have normal working temps of up to 800 degrees F - that's around 430 degrees C.

Since epoxies are thermosetting resins, they have a softening point called the glass transition temperature (Tg). Heating above the Tg , generally around 200 C, will soften the material causing it to loose its grip. Most epoxies will decompose and turn to carbon ash at temperatures of 400°C and above. By heating the unit above the degradation temperature, the epoxy adhesive simply burns away.

Don't use epoxy on brake linings - get the professions to do the bonding for you using the correct type of adhesive material. Or keep your medical and ambulance insurance up to date