H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Drum Brake and Shoe Tuning - Race Tech

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Was this really 'normal' maintenance/performance fix before disc brakes came along on motorcycles?

I think it was for companies like Race Tech, but it was cheaper to squeeze harder.

Paul Thede, owner of Race Tech, wrote "The Suspension Bible," which I quoted a bit in the Modified Steering Stem thread. He is well-known in the industry. I don't think it was a common practice for most shops. You had to go to the "hole in the wall" shops to find this kind of knowledge. Triumph of Wellesley in Massachusetts was one of those shops, but it's owner John Healy moved on to bigger things.

David

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Check out OVR edition 32 for details on how Ferodo did something like this for Geoff Duke at the 1958 Dutch GP.

OVR archives may be found here https://goo.gl/Br0hEJ

The Black Sheep Logo.PNG

nkt267

VOC Member
Check out OVR edition 32 for details on how Freodo did something like this for Geoff Duke at the 1958 Dutch GP.
Trust a Hobbit:D to provide this service..John

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
On racing machines I consider it to be essential. I did a set for a customer with an early Aston Martin, he was most impressed with the improvement.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think its prevalence as a practice in the voc is more to do with the inbuilt error discovered by Clev Trev in the brake shoe / pivot positions - lots of info on here use the search facility