Misc: Stands D type stand removal

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
40 to 50 years ago I remember being at a rally and there were two or three chaps there, all clearly together, who had 'D' stands which had over centre coil springs to hold up their 'D' stands. So it has been done but whether it was long term successful I don't know.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
That pair of spring clips should prevent the stand from dropping down. At least it does on my D Rapide. In fact, I rode it for a while with just one of the spring clips mounted and it still didn't drop down. But it's better with two.

More than once I've forgotten to bring the stand fully up before riding off. It does make a frightful racket but doesn't do anything else. I just push the handle down with my foot, and tell myself to remember not to do that. (A lot of good that does.)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought just nip the 2 main pivots up,
I don't use a handle, And it helps keep mine in place, With a small spring.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
The D stand dropping down when riding over a bumpy surface always gives me a temporary fright, it sounds like a catastrophic mechanical failure, same as when my C rear stand used to drop down due to a worn fixing bracket, but going back to the D, in my case a replica Comet, is there any permanent way of stopping this, whilst retaining the spontaneous ease of use.

danno

Non-VOC Member
If you took that cable stop off the frame and trimmed / Turned / ground a bit off the hexagon,
you could make it shorter ?.
Yes. Getting at the nut is not easy though. Have taken off the chain guard for easier access but still not enough room.
Have tried angled sockets but the opposite frame is in the way.
Will need to take battery off I think.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dan, If you slip the cable off, Then undo it at the outside large Hex,
I think the inside nut will stay there until it's undone ?.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Dan, If you slip the cable off, Then undo it at the outside large Hex,
I think the inside nut will stay there until it's undone ?.
Thanks. Yes, it’s undone now but that’s the best way.
Just takes a bit a longer with parts I’ve haven’t taken off before.