Misc: Stands D type stand removal

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
Just reassembling and need to clean up the centre stand bolts, nuts and possibly the mounting holes.
The nuts seem to tighten when threading on to the bolt and also one does this in the mounting plate hole.
I see that it’s a 9/16” thread on P.186 of ‘Know Thy Beast’ book.
I have loads of taps and dies and have found a 9/16” BSF tap.
Would this be the one to use? Not sure about the t.p.i info in the book.
Any help appreciated.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Take out the bolt. Hold the tap against the bolt and see if the peaks of the threads line up. Use a magnifying lens if needed.
That worked, thanks.
The tap was a courser thread but found a 20 t.p.i tap.
Couldn't find a corresponding die but the bolt cleaned up ok using a bit of valve grinding paste.

danno

Non-VOC Member
That’s what I need I think. The Copaslip I’ve been using for years has definitely caused an electrochemical reaction
with a stainless bolt into alloy on my BMW. Steel on steel is no problem though with copper anti seize.
Not sure if there’s a brush in the Permatex lid for application but there’s also a tube version 77134.
Also seen this Sealey Aluminium anti seize grease which is cheaper.
Paste form and useful for the backs of brake pads.
I don’t think temperature resistance is as high as with the Permatex.

Attachments

• 7DE7E717-876C-47EC-9BC5-9B914CFB1145.png
    7DE7E717-876C-47EC-9BC5-9B914CFB1145.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 84DD1BDE-B8AD-42DD-8F4E-969419CCACFC.jpeg
    84DD1BDE-B8AD-42DD-8F4E-969419CCACFC.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2

danno

Non-VOC Member
Get the good stuff. It will last for years. There is a brush on the cap. I use this stuff on nearly every fastener, exhaust pipe nuts, stainless fasteners, and especially on my old 1939 Plymouth wheel lug bolts etc. Any thing that may need to come apart at some point and will be exposed to moisture. Only place I do not use it is where locktite is needed or on good cad plated threads.
That’s great, thanks.
Just trying to get the stainless Allen bolt out of the alloy fork slider. It’s really in there and the hex head has turned.
They probably didn’t need anything on them but the Permatex will hopefully prevent it from happening again.

Attachments

• FC51BDE8-8320-4F62-BBA6-19F062AF9D22.jpeg
    FC51BDE8-8320-4F62-BBA6-19F062AF9D22.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 7

Alyson

VOC Member
Castrol Optimal Paste and some one elses tooth brush. I bought this stuff (two tubes) when I was in Berlin last. Not sure if it's available in N. America or G.B. It probably prevents cavities, as one might not live long enough to get any. I use it on my exhaust nipple threads BMW boxers, great for heat related items. Prevents galling and good when dis similar metals are used to prevent galvanic reactions. Hope this helps, Alyson

danno

Non-VOC Member
Castrol Optimal Paste and some one elses tooth brush. I bought this stuff (two tubes) when I was in Berlin last. Not sure if it's available in N. America or G.B. It probably prevents cavities, as one might not live long enough to get any. I use it on my exhaust nipple threads BMW boxers, great for heat related items. Prevents galling and good when dis similar metals are used to prevent galvanic reactions. Hope this helps, Alyson
Thanks.
Available in U.K. Works out about the same price as the Permatex so either would do.