Misc: Stands D type stand removal

Russell Kemp

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I should’ve taken pics when dissembling but really didn’t think it would be so complicated.
Hi Dan, you did take photos, they are in your first post. The stand goes on the outside of the plates and the spring washers go under the head of the bolt. Do the bolt up so that the washer is just snug but not coil bound then fit the locknut and nip it up and remember that you have to fit both FT290 spring plates, one either side of the FT106/3 plate. On my bike I gave the spring plates a small bend so that they gripped the stand better but on rough roads the stand would start to drop down, easily fixed with the left foot on the handle.

Cheers

Russ

If it is well maintained it will not break down.

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
Dan, on a side note the chain on your bike does look right. The side plate on the link to the right in the photo looks bent, could be the photo but I would be having a look.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Chain.jpg
    Chain.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 17

danno

Non-VOC Member
remember that you have to fit both FT290 spring plates, one either side of the FT106/3 plate.
Thanks. I wasn’t sure TBH but looking closely at the diagram I see now that they’re either side.
The stand did seem tightly gripped like this and thought maybe they both press on one side.
Also there’s another pair of holes lower down on FT106/3 for the spring clips which adds to the confusion.

danno

Non-VOC Member
The stand goes on the outside of the plates and the spring washers go under the head of the bolt.
Yes, referring back to my pics at the start (thanks). Long job and forgot about them.
On the rear stand, the spring washers are in between the stand and frame as per the Spare Parts List diagram.
That’s probably why I thought these were the same.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Have temporarily mounted the stand as originally fitted and all’s ok. The bolt thread that was the main problem, clears the brake arm now (lower arrow).
It’s all quite tight around that area. Fair enough about the very small gap between the stand and brake arm as it’s a later
design fitted to an older bike. Wondering though if the very small clearance (feeler gauge width) between the top of the rear brake arm and the alloy cable holder is the original design. Just seems really close (upper arrow).

Attachments

• CCE7D2F2-6C17-4B9D-BE4C-3CF90A1E21BE.jpeg
    CCE7D2F2-6C17-4B9D-BE4C-3CF90A1E21BE.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 14

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The "D" had only one rear drum and a different rear frame,
I have a very long rear brake cable, So maybe it goes the other side ?,
I think your frame has a fitting for the stop on the other side also, Maybe for a Comet ?,
Maybe you could do something ?.

I only use one drum on the back, I think 2 drums are a bit too powerful, With my big feet !,
So I do away with the cross over shaft anyway.

If you took that cable stop off the frame and trimmed / Turned / ground a bit off the hexagon,
you could make it shorter ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry the chain guard is on the other side so you can't use that ?.

This shows the "D" Frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hi Dan, you did take photos, they are in your first post. The stand goes on the outside of the plates and the spring washers go under the head of the bolt. Do the bolt up so that the washer is just snug but not coil bound then fit the locknut and nip it up and remember that you have to fit both FT290 spring plates, one either side of the FT106/3 plate. On my bike I gave the spring plates a small bend so that they gripped the stand better but on rough roads the stand would start to drop down, easily fixed with the left foot on the handle.

Cheers

Russ

The D stand dropping down when riding over a bumpy surface always gives me a temporary fright, it sounds like a catastrophic mechanical failure, same as when my C rear stand used to drop down due to a worn fixing bracket, but going back to the D, in my case a replica Comet, is there any permanent way of stopping this, whilst retaining the spontaneous ease of use.

danno

Non-VOC Member
The D stand dropping down has never been an issue on my Rapide. Maybe the catching on the brake arm that I've now fixed, helped to retain it in position.

The stand does move more freely than before as I've greased the pivots and clips. Hoping there's enough grip on them to keep it up.