E: Engine Comet Mongrel

eglijim

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks that will do. There is nothing impeding the location of the rocker pivot, so with those measurements I can locate it so it will replicate the Ducati position. I'm operating under the assumption that I will have to buy a new spring for the shock, but the dampening should be ok. The front forks are early 80's Honda vintage with anti dive. They are as new, but, no point on spending gobs of money on a trick shock if the forks are "just ok".
Those are the easy bits to tinker with once it is running if it proves necessary should the handling need fettled.

Cyborg

VOC Member
One more question about your Monster if I may.... Presumably it has that interesting little fuel pump. Does it pull vacuum pulses from both intakes or just one? I'm trying to determine it's volume if it is hooked up to the Comet intake. I'm sure it would be plenty either way. That little guy seems to be able to move a lot of fuel for what it is. If you have to dig to get that answer, then please don't. I'll find a manual somewhere.

eglijim

VOC Member
Had a quick look but the plumbing is not immediately obvious, will put a little more light on the subject tomorrow as things are a bit congested in there.

eglijim

VOC Member
Had a quick look but the plumbing is not immediately obvious, will put a little more light on the subject tomorrow as things are a bit congested in there.
Still not apparent without further dismantling but seems to be only one vacuum connection.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thank you. It seems there would likely be just the one connection, but you never know. Until I dragged the Monster frame out of that dumpster, I wasn't aware that they used a vacuum pump. I don't have a tank yet, just a plug for the mold, so not sure about fuel capacity. Some of the fuel may end up below the float bowl, so the vacuum pump is a easy way to solve that.

eglijim

VOC Member
Thank you. It seems there would likely be just the one connection, but you never know. Until I dragged the Monster frame out of that dumpster, I wasn't aware that they used a vacuum pump. I don't have a tank yet, just a plug for the mold, so not sure about fuel capacity. Some of the fuel may end up below the float bowl, so the vacuum pump is a easy way to solve that.
Neither was I until you asked the question, the trouble with"modern" bikes is that you quickly become used to treating them as turn key items like modern cars..Having had a poke around ,apart from the fuel level sensor in the tank and an inline filter there is another mysterious component in the fuel line under the tank?.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Probably the vacuum fuel tap if it is connected to the same components. When I first saw that pump from a distance, I thought it was an over engineered reed valve assembly, but as I got closer, it was obviously too big for that. Previously I've only seen them (much smaller) on chain saws and outboard motors. If you didn't know it was there, then that speaks to the reliability. I can't recall the exact volume that they will push, but it's quite high.

eglijim

VOC Member
Probably the vacuum fuel tap if it is connected to the same components. When I first saw that pump from a distance, I thought it was an over engineered reed valve assembly, but as I got closer, it was obviously too big for that. Previously I've only seen them (much smaller) on chain saws and outboard motors. If you didn't know it was there, then that speaks to the reliability. I can't recall the exact volume that they will push, but it's quite high.
Good guess, certainly a small neat valve, the vacuum pump could have been a good option for the trouble many owners had with the fuel system on the SZRs , many resorted to separate electric pumps to feed the pair of carbs on the 660 5 valve motors.

eglijim

VOC Member
Just out of interest, what plan for ignition system and carb ?, have spoken to several single cylinder racers who swear by the stuff made by Ignithch in CZ. Have just bought a couple of the cheap Keihin PWKs( 38 and 40mm),on Ebay and the quality seems very good. Time will tell if they work well but worth a try at £35. delivered.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I bought a ignition system from PowerArc, and adapted it into a Lucas distributor from an Atlas. As for the carb, I haven't decided yet. I have a TT that I could use, but will likely buy something new that makes slogging through stop and go traffic a little easier. I was thinking a Mikuni round slide and try a UFO. Haven't considered the Keihin.... let me know how it goes please. Still flying a flag of convenience and keeping the bride happy, but should be back in the shop soon. Have the bits to fix the brakes, tires, clip-ons etc. waiting for me when I return. I'll post a couple of pictures of the internal disc brakes. I don't think any were imported into the US. They are IMHO an interesting setup and got more of a bad rap that they deserve.