E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had located the large idler boss so that there was 0 backlash between the large idler and the cam pinion as well as 0 backlash between the large idler and the breather. Similar method when doing a twin. So based on what you are saying, I can use any size 1/2 time pinion and move the large idler so that there is 0 backlash between the large idler/cam pinion and 0 backlash between the large idler/1/2 time pinion... and just forget about backlash between the large idler and the breather?

I would have thought backlash there would contribute to the racket. Not from the plastic gear, but the rare earth magnet notchy rotation of the Alton causing the breather gear to rattle against the large idler at tick over speed.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for the additional info Martyn. After reading it, it has become apparent that I was having some sort of cerebral ischemia caused by the old sphincter when I wrote that last post.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The twins with an Alton need plenty of backlash up and down and sideways or else they will be noisy and are prone to wear the plastic drive sprocket very quickly. They tend to "Clatter" quite a bit at kicking speed, but the noise tends to disappear when running.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the additional info Martyn. After reading it, it has become apparent that I was having some sort of cerebral ischemia caused by the old sphincter when I wrote that last post.
Keep a look out for the June OVR (possibly) on its way to your inbox soon

Cyborg

VOC Member
The twins with an Alton need plenty of backlash up and down and sideways or else they will be noisy and are prone to wear the plastic drive sprocket very quickly. They tend to "Clatter" quite a bit at kicking speed, but the noise tends to disappear when running.

No experience running with an Alton on a twin yet.... I would think on a twin with an Alton, the steel PD15/1 would be a better option. I know some of it is pretty tuff stuff, but I wonder why they chose plastic? With the way the Alton feels when you turn it by hand, I can see why you would want the fasteners (holding the gear on) nice and snug with some appropriate Loctite.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I did do the breather mod as per your recommendation Martyn. 1/2 time pinion should be here shortly, so I can finish with the cam timing, ignition timing and finally slam the lid on. I read something on the forum (I think written by Greg) about checking the fit of the ET183 seals which would be a good idea. It's not the original timing cover and I'm using a slightly thicker cometic gasket, so will add a washer under the spindle nuts if necessary.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Starting to look like it might be a product of North Korea.
Comet timing.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
True, but I'm paranoid about dots and have found that they are not to be trusted... plus my mom doesn't knit. Could probably use a couple of the cleaning rods for her side arms though.