E: Engine Comet Mongrel

eglijim

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had another look at that swing arm and it would require a lot of material to be removed to clear the chain. That photo was taken at an angle so doesn't indicate the extent of the surgery required. Quite possible to do, but I'm already having trouble keeping this project relatively simple. It is a nice compact design and other than chain alignment, couldn't be simpler to install. Anyway, I'm now committed to another route, so that one will go back on the shelf for (assuming there is) the next project. I looked at the photos you posted on the other thread. May I ask what wheelbase you end up with? I like the rear shock mount.

View attachment 20387
Will have to ask Bob to measure the WB as the rolling bike is in his workshop,will let you know. Pic of the proposed frame would be nice ? The shock mount was one of Glenn's designs to serve as the frame abutment and keep the same geometry as the donor. the engine plates are probably over engineered and tie the engine /gearbox in nicely without using the normal Comet rear bracket. Will post a couple of pics of Ian Hamilton's BEARS racer design that Glenn was trying to slightly replicate.

Attachments

• 1250 BOTT. 009.jpg
    1250 BOTT. 009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 1250 BOTT. 010.jpg
    1250 BOTT. 010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • 1250 BOTT. 001.jpg
    1250 BOTT. 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 1250 BOTT. 003.jpg
    1250 BOTT. 003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 1250 BOTT. 008.jpg
    1250 BOTT. 008.jpg
    979.9 KB · Views: 57

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought it would be more easy to copy a "D" Frame, With extra strength bars because it's a Comet, Cheers Bill.
Dish.JPG

eglijim

VOC Member
Will have to ask Bob to measure the WB as the rolling bike is in his workshop,will let you know. Pic of the proposed frame would be nice ? The shock mount was one of Glenn's designs to serve as the frame abutment and keep the same geometry as the donor. the engine plates are probably over engineered and tie the engine /gearbox in nicely without using the normal Comet rear bracket. Will post a couple of pics of Ian Hamilton's BEARS racer design that Glenn was trying to slightly replicate.
Ignore the giant 17 A/H battery, its the one from my electric start road Egli, just there for wiring up and testing.
Bob as had a measure, the wheelbase of Glen's comet special is 55.5 inches.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks to you and Bob. I was hoping to get the WB down close to that point and I could get quite close, depending on if I use progressive linkage. No doubt just a shock would be simpler and take up less space if configured like a Vincent RFM. It will likely end up that way as the hours are piling up. I know an ex Honda factory fellow, who left to start his own business selling/rebuilding suspension for MX and road race bikes. He has agreed to help illuminate the path and has quite a good sense of humour. Anyway, according to my bride, we're off to someplace warm...

eglijim

VOC Member
Thanks to you and Bob. I was hoping to get the WB down close to that point and I could get quite close, depending on if I use progressive linkage. No doubt just a shock would be simpler and take up less space if configured like a Vincent RFM. It will likely end up that way as the hours are piling up. I know an ex Honda factory fellow, who left to start his own business selling/rebuilding suspension for MX and road race bikes. He has agreed to help illuminate the path and has quite a good sense of humour. Anyway, according to my bride, we're off to someplace warm...
Enjoy, allegedly we are in for a short sharp cold spell as a spring treat on the East coast here.

eglijim

VOC Member
One point to bear in mind with this design is hat we have VERY limited front wheel clearance so will need to fabricate an exhaust pipe with a fairly tight bend beyond the stub and we are using the front engine /stand plates. A shallower head angle or different offset yokes would ease this issue but at the cost of a slightly longer WB.