E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Registration issues can be dealt with, but it can be a pain depending on the situation. One of the main reasons I'm considering the frame that I have, is because I have all of the necessary paperwork. No muss, no fuss, no inspection. Trying to apply logic to this exercise is probably fruitless at this point. You may have better luck in a few weeks if and when I come to my senses.
Is that swingarm (3rd picture you posted above) from the baby Blade? The 600RR one that I have with the Unit Pro-Link would be ever so simple to install, but there is no way to sort out a path for the upper chain run.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Like so....

suspensi-prolink-gif.gif

Attachments

• prolink_diagram.jpg
    prolink_diagram.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 16

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is what I was going to use its an original Tony Foal Frame for a 900 Honda in the end good offers and the prospects of another DVLA tangle (there were no documents or frame number and TF is in USA) made me move on. I made a few quid for the fighting fund though

DSC01180.JPG

eglijim

VOC Member
To the best of my knowledge, which does not include Honda's the donor was the nc 23 400 rr. Can see no sign of it being "prolink", Glenn had fabricated an adjustable abutment far the monoshock so no rising rate.Have a bare S/A in the garage so can have a look tomorrow for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_115426536 (1).jpg
    IMG_20171223_115426536 (1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20170420-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170420-WA0000.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 38

eglijim

VOC Member
Here is what I was going to use its an original Tony Foal Frame for a 900 Honda in the end good offers and the prospects of another DVLA tangle (there were no documents or frame number and TF is in USA) made me move on. I made a few quid for the fighting fund though

View attachment 20052
Could be about to have similar issues with the DVLA when I try to register the Egli Comet in the UK despite the frame being one Ian had in stock since the early 80s copied when Ian borrowed Ron Kemp's unused genuine Egli Comet frame. Will have to have a talk with the machine register to see the best route forward.

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_110017912.jpg
    IMG_20171110_110017912.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 37

eglijim

VOC Member
Took some of pics of the Honda S/A this morning, the chainline runs through and inside. Assume this would work as Glenn's Comet runs with a standard AMC gearbox. Unless I am missing something there is no rising rate linkage, just a monoshock as your Foale option.

Attachments

• IMG_20180212_074954356.jpg
    IMG_20180212_074954356.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180212_075015789.jpg
    IMG_20180212_075015789.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180212_075032262.jpg
    IMG_20180212_075032262.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180212_075101984.jpg
    IMG_20180212_075101984.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20

Cyborg

VOC Member
The one that I'm staring at is like the one in the GIF that is posted above. To get clearance for the chain, it would require some surgery and doesn't make sense although it would fit the theme. I have another option, but if it doesn't pan out, I could go hunting for a 400RR, although there aren't many around. Right now, the bride is out. so I need to head down to the shop. She gets nervous and inquisitive when she hears a hammer drill going though pavement.

You can just see the top of the sprocket in the photo.

Attachments

• ProLink.jpg
    ProLink.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 25
  • ProLink2.jpg
    ProLink2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 24

eglijim

VOC Member
The one that I'm staring at is like the one in the GIF that is posted above. To get clearance for the chain, it would require some surgery and doesn't make sense although it would fit the theme. I have another option, but if it doesn't pan out, I could go hunting for a 400RR, although there aren't many around. Right now, the bride is out. so I need to head down to the shop. She gets nervous and inquisitive when she hears a hammer drill going though pavement.

You can just see the top of the sprocket in the photo.
If you can resolve the chain line it could be a very tidy compact option. When we designed the assymetric BOTT frame ages ago we chickened out and stayed with a twin shock layout. At that time many of the Japanese "factory " rising rate bikes were terrible so if they could get it badly wrong we did not fancy our chances . Even so the frame was built with the option of moving the swing arm pivot and S/A length. Other bet hedging options used were eccentric steering head bearing cups and adjustable fork yokes in case the we had to tinker with the settings.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I had another look at that swing arm and it would require a lot of material to be removed to clear the chain. That photo was taken at an angle so doesn't indicate the extent of the surgery required. Quite possible to do, but I'm already having trouble keeping this project relatively simple. It is a nice compact design and other than chain alignment, couldn't be simpler to install. Anyway, I'm now committed to another route, so that one will go back on the shelf for (assuming there is) the next project. I looked at the photos you posted on the other thread. May I ask what wheelbase you end up with? I like the rear shock mount.

Shock mount.jpg

litnman

VOC Member
This is a KZ 1000 monoshock frame that may work with some serious modifications. I still have all the tooling and fixtures so may be easier to start with a new one.
Comet Mono.jpg