F: Frame Coil Over Damper

Sten Jensen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the rear it really should have one either side, this would work well with shrouds to hide the springs..
Did one Fastace shock give sufficient damping on the rear ? I mean they are marketed for much smaller bikes than the Vincent...
Would 2 dampers be to much ? The rebound can be adjusted but I guess the compression cannot (?).
The Fastace shock is also available in 10" = 255 mm, which is close to the lenght of my rear AVO coilover and might be better on a roadbike.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The shorter Fastace shock has less travel.......the body is the same length but the piston travel is reduced.......They worked fine (still on the bike) with one only front and rear, however this is a race bike and its total weight was around 155 Kg's. It has a fully sprung rear seat and has a 300 Lb spring on the rear.

oexing

VOC Member
Hi Vincent, my shortened Fournales got 255mm between centers for 70 mm stroke . I think I got total length from looking at old spring boxes. So for having 70 mm stroke I had to shorten a few components of used common Fournales I found at Ebay. No very big deal as I did special end caps for the Vincent anyway, having spherical IGUS bushes for bolts certainly - unlike all available Vincent dampers I have seen here, which are questionable about crooked fittings on bike and have to be lubed like dual seat fasteners really. Some here even had snapped piston rods for a reason, so look into this closer, some details get no sufficient attention I think.

Vic

P1100871.JPG

P1100864.JPG

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Thanx Vic!!
The Works P. I have do 260mm at 75mm travell. Thats incluiding the rubber tit. We all know thats not fully squezable.

I will try to order some at them.

But i do not know how to fully pressurise them yet.

Cheers

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Not strictly on topic - but where I go to buy good damper units (front and back) that still retain original spring boxes.

I see AVO mentioned a lot, but nothing Vincent listed on their site - is there a dealer? or who would I contact?

Maughan's list their new improved D1AS in the MPH - is that a good choice?

I did buy a basic VOC Spares unit last year and fitted to #108 and seems to be OK, but not adjustable.

What other damper units are out there to source.

Solo riding mostly, occasional luggage.

Thanks

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
You can order direct from AVO, page 56 of their vehicle specific option under the product tab. On the page in question they have 5 options. I haven't ordered from them as I have some questions but I am leaning heavily towards them as they are less expensive than Ikon, which you can also order direct from.

1669918073828.png

1669917895583.png

1669918501645.png

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you really want the bike to look original, then as far as I know you, have to use the Maughan replacement. The AVOs have the advantage of being made for Vincents and being adjustable. I have supplied about 310 of the JE steering heads and possibly 200 have been fitted with the AVO front damper. So far everyone seems happy. At the rear, if you want to get the most comfort and movement then you need to fully spring the rear of the seat and use the offset rear coil over damper from AVO. Recent discussions on this forum suggests that perhaps you could use to coil over dampers at the rear, but it would not look standard.