F: Frame Coil Over Damper

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not great when it comes to remembering peoples names, I know there were two "Lord" brothers at the rally, and they were riding heavily loaded modern Triumph's, so unless Tim Lord was there also, but unrelated to the Lord brothers, then the answer is no, I think!

Ronnie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not great when it comes to remembering peoples names, I know there were two "Lord" brothers at the rally, and they were riding heavily loaded modern Triumph's, so unless Tim Lord was there also, but unrelated to the Lord brothers, then the answer is no, I think!
Tim Lord was in Islay, with his 'Purple Shadow'

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_115011_864~2.jpg
    IMG_20230604_115011_864~2.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 40

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Note; the unit sits in the middle, and therfore the bending load on the top bolt is big, very.
Even a 12.9 bolt bends.
Forget the two welded in tubes in the ufm, they are not doing anything else as keep the middle.
I will go back to two smaller units on the side.

milohiscox

Forum User
VOC Member
I could understand that repeated bottoming out of the rear suspension would bend the centre of the UFM split tube forward, but the interesting thing was that on my bike was that they were bent the other way, with the middle of the split tube too far backwards, as if the bike had been stretched. Brazing distortion from the factory? Or would they have post-machined?

Another interesting discovery in the mystery of my distorted UFM:

Finally took the spring boxes apart and found that the bike had longer 7.5" (Petteford?) springs installed.

1697272825134.png

But not only that! When I took the caps off the springs...

1697272893991.png

(Using the correct tool, not a hammer and punch as suggested in one of the little books...)

I found, nestled inside, two other springs!!

1697272987562.png

So maybe all these long springs were just stretching the poor damper over time? Must have been an odd ride (sadly I never rode the bike before the tear down).

New springs from VOC.

1697273062864.png

Sorry to moan, but I haven't bought a single part from the VOC spares company yet, which hasn't needed modifying to fit. One of these springs longer, and the end diameter too small, and not ground square.

timetraveller

VOC Member
My guess is that at some stage the bike had been used with a sidecar attached but what you have seems way over the top, even for that. With regards to the poor quality of the Spares Company springs my advice would be to send one, or both, back with a letter explaining why. Without feedback they will not improve their service. A year or so ago I bought four lower links for the Girdraulics. Two were so badly machined as to be dangerous and had to go back. My guess is that whoever it is that picks the parts off the shelf to pack has no practical experience of the bikes and does not know what to check for.