H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

Whiteshadow15

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just bumping instead of making another thread.

Since my 19/18 wheels are trash, I am having a set of 21/19 wheels made.

I am going to fit avon roadrider tires on them and wanted to check if anyone can provide guidance on proper size. I was looking at 90/90 up front and 100/90 in the rear, would that cause any issue or are there other sizes I should consider??

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If a 110/90 is available for the 19 rear, that might provide a little bit better load rating, and shouldn't cause a clearance issue.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am just rebuilding a "been in pieces for 67 years" B Rapide. It came with original 18 and 19 Rims that have been dry and warm stored (as it all was) for that time, I replated the spokes in the original electroplated zinc, and have on order a 90/90 - 19 Front and 110/90 - 18 rear Both Avon Roadrider Mk11. and new inner tubes. Family I bought it from wanted to know if I would change the tires or run the old ones!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Thanks.
Didn’t know they were fitted originally.
Might as well fit it back on otherwise there’ll be a hole there.
The rims I just re-tyred had 4 holes per rim. One for the valve stem, two for the rim locks and one for a balance weight. I made 3 little button head alloy bushings and pushed them in from the inside of the rim, with and appropriate bit of filing to come close to the contour of the rim and set them in there with black silicone and then covered with the rim tape. You can barely see them sitting there between the spokes. Certainly much less so that rim lock and weight bolts.

I have run modern tyres without the rim locks or weight bolts and have never (in almost 40 years and mileage well into 6 figures) had a tyre slip on a rim.

MarBl

VOC Member
I was looking at 90/90 up front and 100/90 in the rear, would that cause any issue or are there other sizes I should consider??
I opted for the same setup two years ago and have done about 2000mls since (1500 with the JE Mod).
It performs very well, nothing to complain at all. Only difference is the 90/90 BT 45 on the front, instead of the avon.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use a WM2 rim on 21" front and a WM3 on the 19" rear.

Last edited: