H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Strange I always find my 400X18 trials tyre a doddle to put on compared to road tyres

davidd

VOC Member
It looks like the Pit Posse tool. It is good, but don't pull too hard.

David

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Speedmaster Mkii front is on now. Had to buy an inner tube valve puller (pic) as there’s very little space to get at the valve to pull it through the rim.
Wish I’d known about these years ago.

I did have other suggestions about fitting without needing the puller but I’d already got the tyre half on the rim.
Very useful tool.
I'd never heard of one of those valve pullers before. All those years of struggling to get the valve through and keeping the washer on when replacing the inner tube. Brilliant. I've just ordered one.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I'd never heard of one of those valve pullers before. All those years of struggling to get the valve through and keeping the washer on when replacing the inner tube.

Same here. I found it just searching tyre fitting but someone from my local bike club suggested one too.
I have 4x18 and 3.25x19 on my BMW and the valves are usually a bit tricky to get through also.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Same here. I found it just searching tyre fitting but someone from my local bike club suggested one too.
I have 4x18 and 3.25x19 on my BMW and the valves are usually a bit tricky to get through also.
Made my day that. Thanks Jon

danno

Non-VOC Member
perhaps the offending valve ripping tyre was a little old like the ones you intend to replace in which case the rubber may well have lost its grip on the rim?
Hi
Just following up here as I’ve bought an Avon Safety Mileage Mkii and Michelin intertube to fit on the rear.
The old SM tyre which has been on there for decades did come away from the rim very easily.
I have the security bolt out too (pic) but not sure if if’s needed. The hole may have been drilled in the rim as I don’t think it’s standard.
Just thought I’d check before fitting.

Attachments

• FB4FB241-6F70-4322-ADE7-CD553D991EA8.jpeg
    FB4FB241-6F70-4322-ADE7-CD553D991EA8.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 18

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi
Just following up here as I’ve bought an Avon Safety Mileage Mkii and Michelin intertube to fit on the rear.
The old SM tyre which has been on there for decades did come away from the rim very easily.
I have the security bolt out too (pic) but not sure if if’s needed. The hole may have been drilled in the rim as I don’t think it’s standard.
Just thought I’d check before fitting.
The answer is that you don't need security bolts with modern rubber tyres and running on higher tyre pressures, but like I did, I kept them as they look in keeping with originality.
Hope that helps
Jon

danno

Non-VOC Member
The answer is that you don't need security bolts with modern rubber tyres and running on higher tyre pressures, but like I did, I kept them as they look in keeping with originality.
Hope that helps
Jon
Thanks.
Didn’t know they were fitted originally.
Might as well fit it back on otherwise there’ll be a hole there.