H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That escaped me, thanks for the clarification.

Another option, I was considering, would be a combination of WM2 x 21 front rim with 90/90 x 21 tyre and a WM3 x 19 rear rim with 100/90 x 19 tyre. That would allow the use of BT45/46 tyres.
However a WM2 x 21 front rim doesnt seem to be readily available. Does anyone know a source, that stocks them or would that be special order only?
Try the Devon Rim Company, www.devonrimcompany.com they list WM2 x 21 in chrome and stainless steel.
They are pretty much the exact same profile as a Dunlop rim, and even stamp on the rim the same wording as on a DUNLOP rim, but with DEVON instead. Really nice rims.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Cental Wheel Components, I've purchased WM 4 alloy non flanged rims as Avon say 90/90 Trailrider is OK and gives a much more cushioned ride as tyre pressure needn't be so high. with a darn site more tread than a ribbed 300 x 21".

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Central Wheel list a 21" x 1.60 in bare steel alloy, chrome and stainless, 1.85 and 2.15 in bare steel, alloy and chrome but not stainless, you need to look at their price list, don't look for Vincent as it won't list 21"

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Cental Wheel Components, I've purchased WM 4 alloy non flanged rims as Avon say 90/90 Trailrider is OK and gives a much more cushioned ride as tyre pressure needn't be so high. with a darn site more tread than a ribbed 300 x 21".
Marcus my handsome, I understand the tyre choice, looks to be a nice tyre, but why did you choose a WM4 rim, whilst that size rim is OK in so much as it is regarded as safe, the correct/ideal rim choice would be WM3, and that size would undoubtedly give the best performance all round, no pun intended.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Peter my old mate,
The greater volume of air more comfortable ride and longer the tyre will stay up if one has a slow puncture and also greater the distance between the rim edge & the spokes in order to fit a calliper on the disc that will get bolted to the rim one day !!!! But being that far out on the periphery less effort required to squeeze the calliper so cables could be used and incorporate the balance beam, the weight saving would be on your side too. 1966 at Windy Ridge IOM met an old Scowcer (Liverpudlian) riding a girder forked Triumph with Tiger 100 engine and slick shift gear box on changing up there was a mag cut out and breaking was more than he dared to use as he thought he'd snap the forks. It was not a disc but a drum made from a bandsaw blade turned circular and welded at the ends then holes drilled on the inside edge and wired to the spoke nipples. then a brake from a tandem, type that fitted either side of wheel front to the back of the fork, this was then curved to the inside and outside of the band (drum) and a cable operated lever system made to operate it.
Later that year there was an article on this bike and it's front brake set up in Motorcycle Mechanics.
one day I will find a suitable calliper and the rest will be easy. How 3/16" studs does one think I should screw into the side of the rim for each disc 20 or 40???? Suggestions welcomed .
bananaman.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Buell wheels have six 1/4" bolts!

iu

danno

Non-VOC Member
The Speedmaster Mkii front is on now. Had to buy an inner tube valve puller (pic) as there’s very little space to get at the valve to pull it through the rim.
Wish I’d known about these years ago.

I did have other suggestions about fitting without needing the puller but I’d already got the tyre half on the rim.
Very useful tool.

Attachments

• D3AA7195-32E1-42B0-916E-3978B8B250A6.jpeg
    D3AA7195-32E1-42B0-916E-3978B8B250A6.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 47

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Speedmaster Mkii front is on now. Had to buy an inner tube valve puller (pic) as there’s very little space to get at the valve to pull it through the rim.
Wish I’d known about these years ago.

I did have other suggestions about fitting without needing the puller but I’d already got the tyre half on the rim.
Very useful tool.
Now that looks like a brilliant tool because sometimes its very difficult to pull the valve through the wheel rim, especially on the front.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Now that looks like a brilliant tool because sometimes its very difficult to pull the valve through the wheel rim, especially on the front.

Yes, I’d say nigh on impossible with a 3.00 x 20 tyre. It was job on hold until I got one.
They’re actually for trials/motoX bike tyre/rims which are a real mare to feed the valve through.