H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I understand your fine choice of tubes as Metzeler claim 100% synthetic rubber but why US supply?
mytyres.co.uk seem to sell them and they must be UK with that spelling ;) are there quality variations?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tim, I would imagine that mytyres.co.uk are a fairly recent supplier, when I was looking to source Metzeler about 6 years ago, whilst preparing for the Italian international rally, I scoured the internet and could only find them in the USA, and I purchased 2 x fronts and 2 x rears, 21 inch and 19 inch, I don't remember the cost being horrendous, but as I said previously, a little disappointed when they arrived, Made in China, but so far so good, they have not let me down (pun) yet.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Peter, How have the Metzelers done for holding their air pressure over time. I.e. how much pressure do they lose in a week, month, or year? thank you.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi
I need to replace both tyres on my C Rapide as they have hairline cracks (bike was laid up for a few years).
Standard size rims so looking at same type again.
Avon Speedmaster MkII 3.00 S20 front
Avon SM MkII 3.25/3.50 S19 rear

Did see them on Classictyres website a few years ago but was wondering if there’s any other
U.K outlets for mail order classic tyres that people here use.
Any help appreciated.
Dan
Danno,
I buy tyres from Vintage tyres, ClassicTyreStore or Wheelhouse (Central Wheels).
FYI due to several punctures over the last few years, I've just bought new Motocross inner tubes from Wheelhouse. They are a bit more money but thicker than the normal inner tubes, so therefore less likely to tear/split/puncture.
Cheers
Jon Lambley

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
John, I am not going to be of much help to you as I don't keep a log or note anything, my main concern is getting a picture whilst out on the road, unless using my bike daily, I always go through my 5 minute pre ride checks, fuel, oil, chain, lights, etc. then a cursory look for anything about to drop off, and of course check the tyre pressures, invariably they need a quick puff of air, just a couple of psi, but I can tell you this, over the winter layoff the tyres do not go flat flat, just pretty low, I would guess 12-15 psi.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
John, I am not going to be of much help to you as I don't keep a log or note anything, my main concern is getting a picture whilst out on the road, unless using my bike daily, I always go through my 5 minute pre ride checks, fuel, oil, chain, lights, etc. then a cursory look for anything about to drop off, and of course check the tyre pressures, invariably they need a quick puff of air, just a couple of psi, but I can tell you this, over the winter layoff the tyres do not go flat flat, just pretty low, I would guess 12-15 psi.
Peter,
I had a conversation with a guy at Avon last year following a failed inner-tube. Without boring you with the details, one thing I asked him was what tyre pressure I should be running my Avon Speedmaster and Safety Mileage tyres on. He replied a minimum 30 on the front and 36 on the rear. The reason being that current tryes are made of a softer compound than the olden days. Higher pressure will also help prevent tyre slip.
Cheers
Jon Lambley

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Jon, I am lead to believe that Motocross tubes are not recommended for road use, definitely a case of thicker not being better, something to do with generating heat.
You might be right but I've been recommended MX inner-tubes by someone who has been using them for years on his Vincent. Central Wheels never questioned it when I asked them which MX inner-tubes to fit my road tyres. That doesn't mean you aren't wrong of course.
Jon

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
I have an new old stock Metzeler inner tube not made in China, always got common brands of inner tubes like Michelin at least. Only one knurled nut on the Metzeler plus the plastic cap but this is another discussion. But I cannot tell why or which type loses more or less air in storage. Some do it quicker , some not so. Maybe some valves are to blame but I would not think the brand of inner tube to be the reason for punctures. More like sloppy tire fitting, no talcum used, some gravel included etc. . So be extra careful when a tire job is done and maybe add paint marks at the tire and rim like in aviation to see any tire creep from starting, no big deal this and done in a second. No tire holders for me anyway - but then, no old rims either.

Vic

P1050648.JPG