Bonhams Lightning.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The first Pip Harper article is in 756 MPH, p. 23.

The second is in 757 MPH, p. 19.

There is a letter to the Editor in 832 MPH by Mr. Rotta that begins on p. 26.

There is supposed to be a Classic Motorcycle article by Ian "Pip" Harper in 2018, but I do not know which month. If someone has that article I would love to see it.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
The timing is perfect as I was only just reading this morning the lastest MPH - December 2023 which I don't have my paper copy yet but all members can read on the club website. https://www.voc.uk.com/

On page 25 to 28 there is part 2 of an article/interview by Bill Hoddinott about the 1950 New York show Black Ligthning that turned up in California a few years ago after 40 years storage. Now that Lightning was made only one month before the Poland Lightning and the New York Lightning was also fitted with TT10 flanged fitting carbs when new which are still on the bike and the MPH article shows a photo of the rare factory carb adaptors which are flanged type. So it looks like some Lightnings were fitted with flanged TT carbs, plus the New York bike was fitted with front & rear heads and not two front heads.

Simon
Simon, was that the same bike they used for 1949 Earls Court? Note the speedo that has the prewar face. The matching tach uses the prewar face as well and doesn’t have RC 115 written on it… no number at all.

I should have taken more photos of the bike., but I was focused on the brakes and TT mag. I was visiting John…..wonderful fellow… he has provided much needed guidance and advice. The photo of the instruments was taken by John.

IMG_2412.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 23

Cyborg

VOC Member
How close is the bike to the factory delivered specifications? It has a standard rear head and flange mount TT carbs. What number MPH has the full story of finding bike in Poland?
The one that popped up in California was outfitted with a rear head as well. I suppose the upside was when the owner converted it to road use, he could stuff the battery in the usual location.
When Len Hardy from Winnipeg ordered his, he requested a generator. There are conflicting stories about whether or not it came with one, but as far as I know it didn’t. The factory did send him one separately and told him he would have to mount it himself and figure out where to put the battery because that space was now occupied by the TT carb. There are no photos of the bike with the generator installed, so I’ll wager a cheeseburger that my story holds water.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
The one that popped up in California was outfitted with a rear head as well. I suppose the upside was when the owner converted it to road use, he could stuff the battery in the usual location.
When Len Hardy from Winnipeg ordered his, he requested a generator. There are conflicting stories about whether or not it came with one, but as far as I know it didn’t. The factory did send him one separately and told him he would have to mount it himself and figure out where to put the battery because that space was now occupied by the TT carb. There are no photos of the bike with the generator installed, so I’ll wager a cheeseburger that my story holds water.
Len told me that the generator was installed.

davidd

VOC Member
Unfortunately, the large float bowls are very slow. The Amal matchbox float is the fastest float bowl Amal made.

David

MichaelOrgzey

VOC Member
Not only related to this specific bike but would the herringbone hose used would survive methanol like in E5 or E10? Experiences?Or maybe it's better to start a new thread? Cheers,Michael