Bonhams Lightning.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not all of them came with herringbone, but that’s a different discussion I suppose… when the factory tested that Lightning in the photo posited earlier, it was tested by the factory for approximately 100 miles using a petrol alcohol blend if that means anything to you.
In the midst of downsizing I bought a long wheel based transit consignment of NOS Vincent parts including a meter of unused herringbone petrol size pipe, It doesn't look like it would stand the rigours of the muck called petrol today but I dare not test it.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Sold at 149,500 GBP including Buyers Premium, which seems to be about 27% of the Hammer Price. I did some searching on the Bonhams site but could not find any useful info on seller's commission.
From comments made by those who have used Bonhams, it appears to be negotiable to around 10% if you have a very desirable machine, such as a Black Lightning.
This doesn't leave a whole lot for the seller. By my calculations the seller might see a cheque of about 100,000 gbp or a bit less.
It's a lot of money but a far cry from the 929,000 US figure for the Jack Ehret Lightning in 2018.

Glen

LoneStar

VOC Member
Definitely a trend towards lower prices on Vincents. A matching numbers Black Shadow went for £47K, and a matching numbers Black Knight for only £26.5K. It's also interesting that the Series A Rapide brought £229K, compared to the Lightning at £150K.

Buyer's premium on motorcycles, as opposed to collectibles, is "only" 15%.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Series A Vincent Rapide v Vincent Black Lightning, well the Rapide is a very desirable rare motorcycle, and you can ride it, realistically what can you do with a Lightning, other than drool over it! chocolate teapots and all that.

Trickymicky

VOC Member
Some years ago i put a bike in to a Bonhams auction, and they agreed to a net reserve. The bike sold for exactly the agreed reserve price, meaning i got the full amount without paying any seller fees. They only got fees off the buyer. I doubt if they are keen on that these days.

vibrac

VOC Member
All the Bonhams Vincents and all the Vincents at major auctions in last 6 months are on the bike sales information page on the Vincent Spares web site

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The prices at the Mecum Las Vegas auction were also quite a shocker this year. Some very nice DBD34s sold for 6 to 9k us while a Super Rocket brought a higher figure.
Then again, the Super Rocket is perhaps more road useable/practical than a Clubmans Goldstar or Goldstar Scrambler?

Glen

Last edited: