Bonhams Lightning.

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Who ever gets the lightning it would just be nice to see it out on the road being used.
That is the important thing.
Hearing them smelling them and seeing them rip down the road.

Maybe stick some panniers on it and head for Scotland next year..Vince..

Keith Martin

VOC Member
How close is the bike to the factory delivered specifications? It has a standard rear head and flange mount TT carbs. What number MPH has the full story of finding bike in Poland?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
How close is the bike to the factory delivered specifications? It has a standard rear head and flange mount TT carbs. What number MPH has the full story of finding bike in Poland?
For the carbs the factory records only says " TT10".
As for what heads were fitted, the works records make no comments which usually means standard parts were used. Quite a few Lightnings had std rear heads, especially pre mid 1950. The larger big port heads and two front heads and 32mm carbs were a later thing.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The front manifold is different as well. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything, but definitely different than any I have seen. Carb sits lower. I like the comment at the beginning of the video… wondering if it was just another dreaded knockoff. Soon to be one more of those. Would you like a photo or two for your file Simon?

lightning 1 .jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
I think we’d all like a photo or two of your beautiful handy work thanks. @Cyborg
Thanks Gene.
Just taking a break from deconstructing my professionally upolstered seat cover. He managed to get the seat badge cockeyed enough that correcting its location will leave a rivet hole exposed, plus the stitching looks odd the way he did it.
I’ve just installed the newly plated 2” pipes, so as soon as the seat is sorted, I’ll drag it out of its cocoon and take some decent photos.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The timing is perfect as I was only just reading this morning the lastest MPH - December 2023 which I don't have my paper copy yet but all members can read on the club website. https://www.voc.uk.com/

On page 25 to 28 there is part 2 of an article/interview by Bill Hoddinott about the 1950 New York show Black Ligthning that turned up in California a few years ago after 40 years storage. Now that Lightning was made only one month before the Poland Lightning and the New York Lightning was also fitted with TT10 flanged fitting carbs when new which are still on the bike and the MPH article shows a photo of the rare factory carb adaptors which are flanged type. So it looks like some Lightnings were fitted with flanged TT carbs, plus the New York bike was fitted with front & rear heads and not two front heads.

Simon