Best input sought to update front and rear suspension ?

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Amongst the readers of this thread is a certain John Emanuel. John has done some very interesting mods to his suspension.
Come on John, let's have a write up on your mods, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

H

Maybe in the future. I'm afraid spare time is in very short supply and will be for the next year. I can't even manage more than a very few hours a week in the workshop..... the situation's serious!!

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Roy says they are worn out , not so , needing attention perhaps yes . Vincents go on and on with care and attention given to bushings , and adjustments here and there , a few replacements of usually not too expensive bits . Even the front and rear hyd. Dampers if serviced on occasion still function as desired , a switch to Viton O ring seals and modern teli fork fluid does wonders . We ourselves have run them across Bonneville for 50 miles and over the measured mile repeatedly without a waver and excellent control . And not slowly . Does that indicate things are worn out ?
Vincent have covered immense mileage , many have , and retain the ability to do it again for another few decades , how many it's too soon to tell . The initial design was right and truly serviceable , easily and throughout it's entire chassis , indeed most chassis movements working on adjustable oversize bearings at the rear frame pivot and easily replaced bushings costing but a few cents , a brilliant concept , and proven over the long run . The logic is Increadably workable .
What other machine from the same era can make such a proud boast of simple proven fact ? Name one please . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I came up with a simple yet totally hidden bumper and limiter for the early Series B rear end suspension movement that really improved function and ride , eliminated grounding of the clutch dome too . Much improved my own B Rapide no. 275 . Coming soon . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
One important way to improve the action of the rear suspension is to get the unsprung weight of the rider off of it by connecting the rear seat supports elsewhere!

nkt267

VOC Member
I am trying this on my Comet at the moment.I've just got to work out whether the springs need upgrading to prevent the mudguard from hitting the seat when riding 2 up..John

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I made some brackets to attach to the standard seat stays so the appearance was almost unchanged....
TEV140B2003.jpg

seatstaybracket.jpg

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I'm a asked about the seat hitting the fender 2 up . Note that the seat support rods are adjustable at their upper threaded ends . Extend the bolts ends equally . Also the spring box end eyes are long enough to extend out , be sure the boxes are identical in length eye to eye . Lock down the nuts . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
To nkt267,
Are your eye bolt/lock-nut spring retainers perhaps screwed all the way in? You can gain some spring length by screwing out each end in the threaded spring retainer.... but first check how much you can extend
with the spring box off as you only want to go out as far as you can and still have full purchase of screw/retainer thread.