Best input sought to update front and rear suspension ?

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I Agree with Vibrac, And I still use that damper The Aus bloke got banned, I love it, Run Soft on my l/ning, Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Don't get me wrong . The adj. Koni was and remains a superb damper , have them on several of our Vincents . This particular one was too long in its shaft , why I've no idea . One of our racers uses them , the other has original dampers I've rebuilt . Both gave fine handling over that rutted rough surface . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On front discs . We fitted the Lambert dual discs kit to Matt's Shadow after a road incident where his brakes could not cope . They are superb , one finger gives huge power and very short pull up . Marvelous quality . We did specify a few changes to handle wider rubber , greater footprint area . Sid .

clevtrev

VOC Member
I'll relate a few comments and cautions about the suspension peculiarities on our Vincents .
These are actual situations I've come across affecting handling characteristics , even introducing dangerous possibilities .

Another odd thing about this Rapide was that it had odd snapping sound like the rear chain was jumping teeth . The sprockets and chain looked good , why the sound ? Tricky one this .
Pushing and pulling on the rear frame section revealed that the swing arm pivot boss had noticable side play between the G 50 plate and the left side plate FT 5 . Could that be it ? The rear section was removed and the bearings serviced , shimmed up snug and the end nuts E 80 were carefully shimmed beneath to be a boot

kick fit between the plates . Reassembled she rode and handled beautifully and the sound was gone . Quite like a new bike in all
aspects .
Sid .
If that were the case, the pivot bolt nuts were loose, being as they have to clamp the assembly together before they lock.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
All else was as it should be except the outer faces of the big nuts were not out far enough to press against the left and right plates . There was movement , not clamped end to end . A couple shims beneath the nuts did the trick . This condition spoils handling too because of lateral movement at the rear wheel . Grasp the wheel at its rear and pull and push side to side , this will reveal the need for shimming . Sid .

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Interesting comment on dampers and eye bolts . But THAT old extra long Koni and long eye bolts was a killer waiting to happen . Sid .
Could the extra long Koni have been intended for Pettifords? When I bought my Rapide it was fitted with Pettiford springs and an extra long rear Armstrong Damper. The extra length in the damper had been achieved by welding a second lower mounting tube at the bottom. I still have this damper (not used) and if I could master the pesky digital camera I would supply a photo.
Hugo

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Hugo describes a modified Koni , never saw one of these , interesting . Ken never mentioned it .
He emigrated to Canada , enjoyed life there for a while , but suddenly died after a massive cerebral stroke . Huge loss of a grand fellow . Lexa and I really missed him and his tapes and photos . Really sad to lose him . Sid .

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hugo describes a modified Koni , never saw one of these , interesting . Ken never mentioned it .
He emigrated to Canada , enjoyed life there for a while , but suddenly died after a massive cerebral stroke . Huge loss of a grand fellow . Lexa and I really missed him and his tapes and photos . Really sad to lose him . Sid .

No Sid. A modified Armstrong to suit the Pettifords. It looks like a factory job not a bodge.
I just wondered if Koni might have supplied something similar.
Hugo.