Best input sought to update front and rear suspension ?

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
For my money it goes like this- your bike is 60 years old! All these old "things" are only as good as their last rebuilder. Until you rebuild them correctly you will not be aware of how good they were. The fact that you seek "the latest hot-shoe " parts suggests to me that you have bought a badly maintained charlie horse. I have only been riding my rapide for 4+ years and the only modifications I have threatened it with is a disc brake! p.s my harley f x s has not turned a wheel since I bought the vin!

vibrac

VOC Member
For my money it goes like this- your bike is 60 years old! All these old "things" are only as good as their last rebuilder. Until you rebuild them correctly you will not be aware of how good they were.

Roy
Thats about right
Once its as originally intended THEN you can make a judgment

davidd

VOC Member
For my money it goes like this- your bike is 60 years old! All these old "things" are only as good as their last rebuilder. Until you rebuild them correctly you will not be aware of how good they were. The fact that you seek "the latest hot-shoe " parts suggests to me that you have bought a badly maintained charlie horse. I have only been riding my rapide for 4+ years and the only modifications I have threatened it with is a disc brake! p.s my harley f x s has not turned a wheel since I bought the vin!

Roy,

While I can agree with you in principle, as long as the steering head and swing arm bearings are tight, I think that the handling can be improved radically. The Vincent's greatest attribute is its strong handling (particularly with the single.) Few owners are ever in a position to experience this. So, I think it is a worthy endeavor for Steve.

Based on a dozen or so shock dyno tests there is no damper that comes close to the performance of the Thornton (Works Performance.) The closest I came on the front was the Koni which was only 300% stiffer on rebound than the Thornton. 300% puts it in the junk pile. Good damping means superior tire contact. Good tire contact benifits everyone.

The long springs can occaisionally cause bad behavior of the forks, including wobbles. I have found that the short springs have obviated the problem. No wobbles is also a good thing for everyone.

So, I would urge Steve to make the changes, whatever he decides, and the handling will most likely improve. How much it will improve is his choice.

As an interesting note, when I originally installed disc brakes in 1995, the stopping distances increased dramatically!

David

Last edited:

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I sorted my membership with John Philips. Seem that because I moved and did not tell the VOC my new address I 'disappeared'. That said, although I now know my membership # and it is good for another couple of years I am still showing in this forum as a none member - frustrating ! Good Lord, life's complicated. Were we better off when a fax was considered high tech?

TritonMike

VOC Member
I do not work for AVO and have no interest in them.

I need a new rear damper for my Series C Comet rebuild and I am aggregating an order for the AVO rear damper (some short & some long). If interested get in touch soon (b44mike@yahoo.co.uk) as I intend to place the aggregated order and get a bit of a discount for everyone.
I need to know which country you are from and if you want

• Part no TA1445 -the shorter version that should suit most applications.
  • Part no TA1446 - the slightly longer version, for use if you know your Pettefords are overlong or if you simply want to be sure of no Petteford fitting problems.

[*]The steel bush to be fitted in D8 is supplied, but otherwise the dampers are supplied bare, with no shroud, no bump stop and no top mounting.

Also specify if you want a thumbwheel adjustment.​

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
After 30+ years of Harleys I cannot understand the quibbles about the standard Vin set-up! It knocks the s-it out of what I have been accustomed to! Maybe, some of you should revert to a standard, but well set-up system before trying to "better " the worn-out 60 year old "thing" you are riding right now.

davidd

VOC Member
Roy,

Some of us believe that the standard set-up is not the best at a minimum and dangerous at worst. I have run the Thorntons and short springs on incredibly worn Vincents and the improvement is dramatic. I have then rebuilt these bikes and the improvement is noticeable but modest. Today, I do not think there is much of an excuse for running a worn out bike.

David