H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plate dimensions Help….

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been reaching the VOCSC site by clicking on the box in the upper left of the Home page for this Forum.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I just looked out one of the new brake plates. They are no use to you as the inside design is very different. I found an original Electron one and measured the thickness of the central hole. It has been used with a felt seal and there is some wear but the mean of several measure is 0.37". The central thickness of a new one is 0,35"

Robert Watson

VOC Member
So Vincent, you are using the narrow race with the wide bearing. According to Know Thy Beast and Eddie Stevens

9074 .848 wide used with 9196 11/16 wide

9067 3/4 wide used with 9195 9/16 wide.

I guess the book will have to be re written with

Speet Brakes 9074 .848 wide with 9195 9/16 wide.

No wonder I had so much trouble sorting out my Speet brakes!

I know they used spacers behind the bearings when they switched to the narrow cups, so that the original hollow axels would fit. I have a few of these that have been removed from various hubs, but did they make the hubs with a shallower bore later on to accept the narrow bearings without a spacer?

All mysteries from the distant past!

Cyborg

VOC Member
I just looked out one of the new brake plates. They are no use to you as the inside design is very different. I found an original Electron one and measured the thickness of the central hole. It has been used with a felt seal and there is some wear but the mean of several measure is 0.37". The central thickness of a new one is 0,35"
Thanks for that. I have a copy of a drawing for different brake plates and the thickness is .328”. The hub, hollow axle, bearing, and seals were shipped a few days ago, so hopefully they will make it through the Xmas rush. I think I’ll just glean what information I can from the steel plate and then set the hub/drum assembly up and figure out whatever info is missing. I have a supply of playdough on hand if it becomes necessary. I have the loan of a jig to determine where the holes go, so more convenient than the rotary table. The jig is a work of art. I bored the hole for the speedo gearbox and threaded the holes for the speedo mounting plate. While I’m waiting, I can make the brake pivot and anchor holes. The one for the brake cam will have to wait until the bushings arrive, so I can figure out what size it needs to be.… then machine the bosses for everything once I know the dimensions.
I made a mandrel to fit in a collet mounted in the lathe so I can turn the OD and area that interfaces with the drum. It can be used again later on to turn the shoes. Think I’m going to weld a flange onto the shoulder and then turn it. To give more support and surface area against the plate so less likely to rotate on the mandrel.
If you see any stupidity going on here, feel free to point it out.

ps… I think the jig was intended to be used during the machining process, but I just made up two centre punches that slip into the holes.
Centre punch the locations and then use a centre finder in the mill.

2EDAAB0A-19BB-44F7-B4D0-340B8093C501.jpeg
56F5AD0E-ACF4-4696-ABBD-6B913A68D5AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
So Vincent, you are using the narrow race with the wide bearing. According to Know Thy Beast and Eddie Stevens

9074 .848 wide used with 9196 11/16 wide

9067 3/4 wide used with 9195 9/16 wide.

I guess the book will have to be re written with

Speet Brakes 9074 .848 wide with 9195 9/16 wide.

No wonder I had so much trouble sorting out my Speet brakes!

I know they used spacers behind the bearings when they switched to the narrow cups, so that the original hollow axels would fit. I have a few of these that have been removed from various hubs, but did they make the hubs with a shallower bore later on to accept the narrow bearings without a spacer?

All mysteries from the distant past!
It been said in the manual Robert!!!!