H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plate dimensions Help….

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ken, Looking at the photo, I think the studs that go through the plate are longer ?.
This is a VOC Spares plate, From 1980 ish,
Because of the thicker bosses ?.
Bill, I have some NOS Lightning/Flash shoe pivots so the thickness of the boss for those can be sorted out from measuring the pivot. I don’t have any anchor pins yet, but suspect they will require the same casting thickness.

Do these look like the Slater ones? Sorry for stirring up old nightmares.

987AEFC8-C375-4CEC-A427-B4733AB270D1.jpeg
602B25FD-2A3D-45B8-A8B0-A4343A2CB5B2.jpeg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The hollow axle for the front alloy plates should have plain ends as nuts weren't fitted, my rear ones do however have nuts but I don't know about the length of the hollow axle as everything was fitted when I got it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't think they are Slater Ken,
Slater had cast in scoops and the Gauze, Was stuck on the inside,
But they fell OFF !.
Yours look OK ?.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I could measure up one of the new machined from solid ones but whether they are relevant to your castings I don't know. One thing which should be realised is that the holes in the centre of the original Electron plates was larger that the diameter of the hollow axle. The reason for this was so that upon assembly one could apply the brakes to centre the shoes within the drums before tightening the tommy bar axle. I tried to persuade the manufacturer of the new plates to do this but without success. The disadvantage of this is that upon dissassembly there is a tendency for the whole lot to fall apart and onto the floor. Rather like the original cup and cone head races. One person I know who used the new type brake plates, but with the 8" diameter brakes, machined back the centre thickness of the brake plate and then used a nut to tighten it up. Let me know if you think the measurements of the new plates is of any use to you.
Thanks for the offer. I think Bill is correct that I can figure out most of it by measuring a steel plate. That said… any measurements would be reassuring, even if its just the thickness ( depth) of the axle bore. I would assume… that all of the measurements on the inside of your plates would be the same as mine.
Thanks for confirming the larger axle bore diameter. I knew that was done with steel plates and have my special thin spanner in the special thin spanner drawer.
Just wasn’t sure about alloy plates. I did spend a lot of time obsessing about the axle bore and made sure it was straight, round and right on .750” , but this was because I’m using that for datum and didn’t want to replicate the Slater plates.
Once this mess is together, I’ll trim the shoes on the lathe…. and can open up the axle bore if necessary.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
@Cyborg, i would use narrow bearings off course. No Nut.
Use the new Shoes from norman or voc spares or Neal Videan and. Davidd suggested linings. If you want an hollow axle no thread on it, just ask..

Cyborg

VOC Member
The hollow axle for the front alloy plates should have plain ends as nuts weren't fitted, my rear ones do however have nuts but I don't know about the length of the hollow axle as everything was fitted when I got it.
That’s comforting because I have a hollow front axle on the way and it has no threads.

Cyborg

VOC Member
@Cyborg, i would use narrow bearings off course. No Nut.
Use the new Shoes from norman or voc spares or Neal Videan and. Davidd suggested linings. If you want an hollow axle no thread on it, just ask..
Thanks,
I have Neal’s shoes, but the bearings I ordered are the normal H22, so don’t know if they are the narrow ones you refer to… I will have to check into that.

Edit… I just checked and the bearings are not the narrow ones.
Are the narrow bearings absolutely necessary? If so, I will exchange them.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Thanks,
I have Neal’s shoes, but the bearings I ordered are the normal H22, so don’t know if they are the narrow ones you refer to… I will have to check into that.

Edit… I just checked and the bearings are not the narrow ones.
Are the narrow bearings absolutely necessary? If so, I will exchange them.
Yes nécessaire.