H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plate dimensions Help….

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm not sure about the narrow bearings. i have had bikes with the original steel brake plates and then changed to the old Electron ones and not had to change the bearings. The oil/grease seals are different (and Vincent can provide those as well) but they fitted with the normal bearings. Why are thin bearing required Vincent?

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
The hollow axle for the front alloy plates should have plain ends as nuts weren't fitted, my rear ones do however have nuts but I don't know about the length of the hollow axle as everything was fitted when I got it.
As Chris says alloy plates use a different hollow axle and it also needs a bush/spacer I know they used to be shown /listed on the spares co site. I think I got my axle from spares co but got the spacer from Neal

Cyborg

VOC Member
As Chris says alloy plates use a different hollow axle and it also needs a bush/spacer I know they used to be shown /listed on the spares co site. I think I got my axle from spares co but got the spacer from Neal
Probably something I’ll have to figure out when the parts arrive. Some folk here have used the wider bearings ( that don’t use spacers?)
They list spacers on VOC Spares, but are listed for narrow bearing -“early hub”.
So spacers required for early hub, but not later hub with wider bearings?
I’m using a new hub, so presumably it is the lasted rendition.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Probably something I’ll have to figure out when the parts arrive. Some folk here have used the wider bearings ( that don’t use spacers?)
They list spacers on VOC Spares, but are listed for narrow bearing -“early hub”.
So spacers required for early hub, but not later hub with wider bearings?
I’m using a new hub, so presumably it is the lasted rendition.
I’ve tried to look at the spares site but can’t access. The spacer/ bush goes at the end of the axle not the spacer used with bearings I’m trying to remember as I’ve only done once but I think this acts as a seal and the nylos ? Seals aren’t used

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have found the felt seals are too wide when new,
So I cut them in half, I don't like the Nilos ones,
So with felt seals it should not alter the width ?.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It used to be that one did not use felt seals with alloy brake plates, The ones specified by the works used to be called H55 They are made fom brass or bronze and those are the ones which I have had from Vincent in the Netherlands.

Cyborg

VOC Member
It used to be that one did not use felt seals with alloy brake plates, The ones specified by the works used to be called H55 They are made fom brass or bronze and those are the ones which I have had from Vincent in the Netherlands.
I found H55 here, https://www.voc.uk.com/content.aspxpage_id=22&club_id=931962&module_id=463849
,but no longer listed on Spares Co site.
Appears to be the same general idea as the nilos seals, so maybe nilos will work? They are in transit, so will find out after Christmas. If not… the local club enforcer says I have to make my own H55.