ET: Engine (Twin) 2BA Countersunk Screws (406)

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i do have a specially ground screwdriver for the screws holding the clutch drum with a spanner hex on. amongst other bits . BOC keys for the Brampton spindles etc etc.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
One small advantage of putting a metric threaded fastener to use in this application is it will allow the use of a JIS screwdriver..A JIS screwdriver will tend to cam out a lot less than the phillips screwdriver

oexing

VOC Member
But my guess you cannot beat Torx for countersunk screws. Even for home use in woodworking they have gone for Torx from Philips types when in carpentry electric drivers are applied.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Like many things in the Vincent world, I think we are looking to solve a problem that does not actually exist, slot head countersunk 2BA is absolutely fine if you use the correct screwdriver, if you really must use an electric screwdriver to save a couple of minutes, and if you are worried about screwdriver bit slippage, then 2BA Pozidrive countersunk is available in either flat or raised form from www.stainlessautomotivefastenings.co.uk not cheap at £4.51 a single screw, minimum of 10 quantity, but the Club Spares price for one standard screw is £1.10, so you would only be paying £34.10 over the odds for a set to enable you once in a blue moon to zap them in with an electric driver.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Ahh! do you want to send us all mad? M5 up a 2BA and now Pozidrive on a Vincent! its enough to make me join the Ramblers :)

(Said he with red bar grips)

oexing

VOC Member
As I said a long time ago, imperial even in UK or certain other colonies is no longer practical, lose one screw and you are in trouble to get one quick. Look below in my link and find 10 each M 5 Torx at 2 Pounds something and you got lot of change for a M 5 tap to chase the 2 BA in the clutch. No technical issue to do this, all sizes suitable for the mod - and no worries ever after. It is not a point to use an electric driver here, just a shape of screw that you don´t screw when undoing later - with a little help from Loctite to be safe that any screw will not work its way out to get stuck on the cover.

Vic
Torx M 5 stainless 10 each