• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

ET: Engine (Twin) 2BA Countersunk Screws (406)

ossie

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Is there any trace of gear crunch when changing from neutral to first? If yes it is definitely the clutch
one 2ba countersunk screw wasn,t happy staying where he was all sorted now thanks for all your replies.OSSIE

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 13

bmetcalf

VOC Member
There are big screwdrivers and small screwdrivers and one that's the right size and that's the one they used at the factory back in the 50's
It doesn't help at roadside, but it is a good idea to have a dedicated screwdriver in the shop that you have ground to fit just right in the slot.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vic, The standard screw has always been a pain,
If you think the head is countersunk, There is no support for the slot at each end !,
So easy to round off, Plus we used to pin pop the plate into the screw slot,
So it wouldn't come loose, But we have all seen that one would !.
Cheers Bill.
Well Bill you surprise me, if you have access to a bench grinder buy yourself a decent brand screwdriver, preferably oversize, hollow grind the flats until the blade fits the slot precisely, then grind the blade overhang in slot to same angle as the countersunk screw, taking care when you are grinding never to overheat the blade, a jam pot filled with cold water with an ice cube in it helps here, I have kept my pilot clutch screwdriver for that use for a very long time, it is capable of doing the 9 screws up very tight, very quickly without slippage or damage to the screw heads, as I have said in a previous post, I have had to do this a few times, I have experimented with Allen headed screws, but soon reverted back to standard, the only types I might change to is Pozi or Torx, but as previously stated, they are not easy to come by, if available at all.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories