ET: Engine (Twin) 2BA Countersunk Screws (406)

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There are big screwdrivers and small screwdrivers and one that's the right size and that's the one they used at the factory back in the 50's
It doesn't help at roadside, but it is a good idea to have a dedicated screwdriver in the shop that you have ground to fit just right in the slot.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vic, The standard screw has always been a pain,
If you think the head is countersunk, There is no support for the slot at each end !,
So easy to round off, Plus we used to pin pop the plate into the screw slot,
So it wouldn't come loose, But we have all seen that one would !.
Cheers Bill.
Well Bill you surprise me, if you have access to a bench grinder buy yourself a decent brand screwdriver, preferably oversize, hollow grind the flats until the blade fits the slot precisely, then grind the blade overhang in slot to same angle as the countersunk screw, taking care when you are grinding never to overheat the blade, a jam pot filled with cold water with an ice cube in it helps here, I have kept my pilot clutch screwdriver for that use for a very long time, it is capable of doing the 9 screws up very tight, very quickly without slippage or damage to the screw heads, as I have said in a previous post, I have had to do this a few times, I have experimented with Allen headed screws, but soon reverted back to standard, the only types I might change to is Pozi or Torx, but as previously stated, they are not easy to come by, if available at all.

oexing

VOC Member
That thing with the countersunk BA screws kept me headscratching for a while now. It seems there is some space for more head than just countersunk, otherwise that screw had blocked the mess earlier. My idea is to get common Allen BA bolts with big hex key and just turn a big chamfer on it for the coutersunk. No need to have it all flat, so next time after having only low strength Loctite for security on them you have the common Allen key for undoing.
Another way is to turn BA countersunk screws form hex bar and keep some hexagon for your spanner , not all flat to the clutch plate, no need for this. The finish is a bit like the nuts for the upper frame to head lug joints.

Vic
P1070499.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have often thought the same Vic, With the Clutch screws,
But there is not a lot of room when the clutch is lifted !,
In the past when I built an old type Multi plate clutch,
I made an simple Alloy plate spacer to go between the cover and the Primary case,
And then cut an 1, 1/2" gap in the spacer at the front and back, Half way up,
To let air in and out for cooling.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The C27 and the 2BA countersunk screws don't move in and out, only radially, so the gap between the inside of the clutch cover and the C27 and 406s is the same whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged, (lifted)

highbury731

VOC Member
Supposedly these countersunk screws are bolted down to some stop, no ? I would not trust any adhesive tape on heads to last long, in heat and some oily mist possibly. As could be seen you need some saftey means to prevent loose screws from unwinding completely once they are no longer tight. So why not use MILD Loctite like the 221 or 222 , same strength like nylocs, no other types as you´d be challenged to undo them. Common slotted type countersink might be best here unless you find some with Torx - unlikely with that imperial thread.
For other places I was considering countersink screws but with hex head, own production, reasonably flat hex head for decent spanners. But then, no imperial threads for me when I can help it, so Torx my choice.

Vic
2BA ? Imperial ??

Harumpf

Paul

oexing

VOC Member
Ahh, thanks, looked up the BA history and learned the metric origins - but the mutation from this was pretty British weirdness. But in the context of these clutch screws the case of 2 BA is easy to convert to a more practical M 5 thread by chasing a metric tap into the old thread. Pitch is almost identic and diameter of M 5 is only a tad bigger so perfect for having decent Torx countersunk screws then. I don´t believe there will be allergic symptoms from the bike - unless the owner has some complex . . . .

Vic
Torx screws