Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eddie,

Yes, the rear 20" is obsolete. The rims have to be found used and I think Coker or the National Museum makes batches of rears occaisionally. 19" is the way to go on the rear.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
I do not know if this of any use to any of you here but I do have a rear wheel with a 20" x WM2 flanged alloy rim. It is fitted with a 3.25 x 20 racing rear tyre and yes that does say 3.25. I bought it from the late Tom Somerton about 50 years ago and it has sat unused ever since. Because of the unusual size of the rear tyre I have always assumed that it might have been on a Grey Flash at some stage. Clearly after all this time the tyre would not be fit to be used and I always assumed that I would either sell it to someone who wanted to put it on a bike in a museum or break it and use the rim on a front wheel and put a 19" rim on the rear. Having been sitting here for 50 years it has seen very little use in its life and bearings, hub, brake drum all seem to be in very good condition. If it is just what someone is looking for then let me know.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
WM 3 x 21" front and WM2 x 19" rear will make it WM3 x 19" when I put on a new rim on the "A" Old Harry---WM3 x 21" front and WM4 x 18" rear on the "B" & "C" Avon say WM4 rim is still within range of their front tyres giving much more wall support and rubber on the road and greater loading ability, Standard on the "D" still but all with AVON Distanzia's much more tread than the ribbed front and 10.5mm on the rear three years and 8k miles and still 4.5mm remains in the centre. 21"front gives spot speed with the satnav,
20" rear tyres can still be got with old pattern tread but have to be searched for, Flash & Lightning enthusiasts.
bananaman

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks, yes the tyre is avialble.. but difficult to find the rim..
Eddie

Heres one for starters H3.50X20X40-STD 20'' Devon Mirror Stainless Steel Wheel Rim

Devon rims (yes I know it has Hardly ableson in the link but so long as it keeps the numbers up....)

Spqreddie

VOC Member

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Devon rim Company said they can supply the alluminium alloy flanged VM2 20 inches rear rim in 6/8 weeks, but i understood is not made in Europe. May be asia..
Eddie

Last edited:

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Dear All,
finally found a company in Italy who will be able to make some 21 and 20 inches "Borrani record" type of flanged aluminium rims for my project.
Orginal specs for Lighting (wich i wanted to follow) is 21 in WM1 at the front and 21 in WM2 for the rear.
But now i just spoke with an engineer at Avon tyres who told me that the Avon Speedmaster in 21 wich is the tyre i would like to use was desgined for VM2 rims (altough safe to use from WM1 to WM3) and the Avon Safetly Miliage in 20 in (the only easliy available tyre in 20in) was designed for WM2 rims (altough safe ti use with rims from WM2 to WM4).
So i would like now to order a 21 WM2 inches front wheel and a 20 Inches WM3 for the rear for wich the tyres were designed for. A bit larger than original but should suit better the aviailable tyre and should give some more rubber on the ground to the 998 CC rapide engine!
What do you think? any counter indication?
Also, somebody has a techical drwowing with the angles of the holes in the rim for the 20 inches wheel? the rim company would need it to pierce the rim for the Vincent hub, they have no reference unfortunately. I will use the 20 forr the rear, but the angles should be as any more common 20in front rim.
Thanks all!
Edmondo