Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Norman said that in practice they often had to grind that much, more or less, off the end of the spoke to stop the end puncturing the rim tape.Frank Griffin

I can add that I picked up some very ancient original vincent wheels for use on the flash amongst the chrome flakes were correct red lines on the rims the tyres were worn bald to an amount not seen since the 50's obviously on a sidecar (I of course was after the hubs) But I noted that all the remaining spokes inside the rim had the marks of being ground off at the nipple

mercurycrest

VOC Member
According to Norman Peach, the man at the Factory who ran the wheel building shop, only '4 cross' was used postwar. Careful checking of prewar photos would tend to suggest that this was also prewar practice, though he couldn't swear to this. Checking the Parts List spoke length against, say, the Buchanon Co.'s spoke chart and you'll see that the chart would give a length maybe 1/8" too long. Norman said that in practice they often had to grind that much, more or less, off the end of the spoke to stop the end puncturing the rim tape. The factory was often in disagreement with the spoke suppliers - possibly because the suppliers found it easier to supply what they had, rather than what was ordered?

Hope this helps,
Frank Griffin

Get yourselves a fistfull of 8, 9 & 10 ga. spoke blanks, one of these and then, practice, practice, practice..........:D 012.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Since the wheels are always the same , and the hubs are constant, and the spoke pattern is well known, ............what is the spec for Vincent front and rear spokes?
Gauge? angle? thread? length?
spoke_measurements.jpg

kettlrj

VOC Member
Hi,
I rebuilt my Argentinian B with a 21" front and 19" rear. You can get good tyres for both and I am delighted with the steering of the bike.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Not only the tyres, it looks like is also difficult to find alloy WM 2 x 20 rims..
I've tried Central Wheel Components in UK and Ruote Borrani in Italy,
any one know where it might be possible to find a 20inches 1.85 rim?
Both companies said they could made them eventually but a minimum order of 30 or 50 rims...
Thanks!

davidd

VOC Member
Eddie,

You do not say if they are aluminum or steel. The steel have always been available. I bought mine from Coventry, lined and painted. Aluminum is mostly a used market. I think this is why members have suggested the Avon AM26 in the 21" size.

There is nothing wrong with the 20", but you are fighting the fact that it is mostly an obsolete size. This means that you can only buy one style and that the "freshness" of the tire may be bad. New, fresh tires are about the best modification that you can make to your bike. If you plan to ride much you may like the benefits of a 21" rim and tire. And, due to their current popularity, there will be many selections available for many years.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Im not sure that I follow all this about 20" rims not being available last autum I bought a 20" morad from central wheels (still shown) and a 20" speedmaster from Avons (and the 20" was recomended by Avons - not everything is on their web site)
20 front and 19 rear has been my favorite set up for race and road for yonks

Spqreddie

VOC Member
dear David and Vibrac,
sorry i might have not been too specific in my last post,
I was referring to a rear rim,
I've seen that 20 and 21 are avialble with no probem for front wheels with a whide choice of tires,

but was referring in my post to rear wheels. i've noticed that is difficult/impossible to find alluminium alloy valanced rear WM2 (1.85) 20inches rim.

Thanks!
Edmondo