Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

Mark Fisher

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have had problems with the 20" front tyres available in recent years with excessive wear and being out of round, in fact one tyre had to be returned immediately as it had a lump in it! four front tryes in 16000 miles is ridiculous. This was one of the factors that drove me to go to a 21" front wheel as there is a lot more tyre choice. I have not had any issues with the rear tyres so I have stuck with the 19" I use avon roadriders which i'm happy with. After going to the 21" on the front my tyre issues have gone away and to be honest I think the bike handles a bit better than it did. I also feel like the tyre can now cope with the brakes which are 8' club brakes. In short 19" and 21" is the way to go. I still have my 20" wheel complete with brakes as there is nothing wrong with it, and you never know I might need it.
mark

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
It's a bit ironic to think that with a Shadow first gear I could go up to the legal limit in first !!

vince998

VOC Member
Try crossing 4 on an 18" rear D rim :). I´ve been riding cross three on the rear for 5 years (stainless rims & spokes from Central wheel Co) 2 up and well packed. Up till now, no problems. (my wheel builder calculated a cross 4 pattern would be weaker on an 18" wheel with our spoke lengths?)
Also, which is the best spokes lacing pattern? cross 3 or cross 4? I’ve heard both were used at the factory, right? I guess cross 4 might be stronger even if using longer spokes.

I've seen cross three collapse on the rear wheel of a Vincent. I wouldn't even consider cross three.
Cheers, John

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Funny, I had a subscription to the American magazine Motorcycle Classics, and I still get emails from them, and they mention a tire company named Kendra USA, and the fact that they have a new retro line of tires for older bikes, but oddly enough, their website does not show a 19 inch rear tire. Come on, if you are going to talk retro, at least make a proper rear 19 inch tire.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have had problems with the 20" front tyres available in recent years with excessive wear and being out of round, in fact one tyre had to be returned immediately as it had a lump in it! four front tryes in 16000 miles is ridiculous. This was one of the factors that drove me to go to a 21" front wheel as there is a lot more tyre choice. I have not had any issues with the rear tyres so I have stuck with the 19" I use avon roadriders which i'm happy with. After going to the 21" on the front my tyre issues have gone away and to be honest I think the bike handles a bit better than it did. I also feel like the tyre can now cope with the brakes which are 8' club brakes. In short 19" and 21" is the way to go. I still have my 20" wheel complete with brakes as there is nothing wrong with it, and you never know I might need it.
mark

I dont think you would have any problems with a genuine Avon tyre my 20" racing compound speedmaster is a joy to behold
I always get mine from Steve Smith at the avon/cooper factory not one thats been on the shelf at some depot for a couple of years

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
From time to time there is mention on this forum about the best combination of wheel and tyre sizes, without elaborating as to what particular way certain sizes are better, apart from 'cos they handle better'. Apparently the factory fitted different sizes according to model and year of manufacture, but generally with the front larger than the rear, although I believe some export models had both wheels 19". For many years my '54 shadow has used 3.50x19" rear and 3.25x19 front for long leisurely touring trips owing to the availability of these sizes even in remote places and also the convenience of carrying only one spare tube. For this purpose the bike handles well enough, so what am I missing out on by not using 3.00x20"F and 3.50x19"R as per standard? I am not about to become a super high speed grandpops, but I would like to know from some of the many knowledgeable members the how and why of it.

Col.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I can give a personal view on a couple of different machines, although it isn't comparing apples with apples. My current Comets have 20 and 21" front wheels and 3.50"x19" rears on both. They are both light handling and virtually "think" their way around bends. I can only tell the difference because the older 20" front machine has wider handlebars and the original seat stays whereas the 21" 'bike is fully sprung. I did own a touring Rapide with 4.10"x19" k81's front and rear. It did seem to need "setting up" for corners and possibly because of the mudguards needed concentration on gravel roads with a crosswind. I have had a ride on a standard "A" Rapide which was very much like a Comet with a few more burly oafs in the engine room! I chose 21" front tyre for the later Comet because of easier availability,(lots of Hoggly-Dogglys in Australia)