Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
[QUOTEWhat are Hoggely Dogglys? ][/QUOTE]
I hit the Google button and it looks like they are 2 wheeled American tractors..:rolleyes:..john

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover ??

- the position of the dirt bag................... ( ducks down behind desk to avoid flak ) ;-)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Col, I have 21/19 for superficial reasons - I like the way the 21" fills the front fender and the more vintage look of the 19" on the back vs. an 18". I'm not a sophisticated enough rider to say how much better it handles.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
H----- D------- "an American device for converting gasoline (sic) into noise without the attendant complications of handling, performance or brakes"

Spqreddie

VOC Member
A 21 front wheel and tyre, will look odd under a 20 mudguard? the radious is so different? need to look for a 21 mudguard?
what about the rear? a 20 in tyre under a nromal 19 mudguard will look strange?
this one offered by the spare company, has a special radious for 20 inches tyres? or is just a shortened rapide one?

FT148/3A One piece rear blade for Black Lightning
Un-cut full length. Alloy

Price: £90.00 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
I fitted a 21" to both my C Comet and B Rapide. No need to change the front guard if it is the correct radius and also fitted correctly! The 21" does look better in that there is no big air gap between the tyre and guard. The 21" rolls over road imperfections more smoothly than the smaller diameter wheels. It also allows for "sharper" steering in my opinion. As mentioned there is a wider choice of tyres available. Be aware that there are at least 2 different 20" Speedmasters and you certainly need know which speedrating you have before you decide to exercise your bike. Irrespective of front wheels I have 19" on the rear of all my Vincents. As far as lacing the wheel: what gauge spokes, butted or double butted or straight; Stainless or regular; what sort of nipples? Steel, stainless or alloy rims. Welled or flanged alloy rims? What sort of brakes? The better the brakes then the better the tyre you need to do the job.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
A 21 front wheel and tyre, will look odd under a 20 mudguard? the radious is so different? need to look for a 21 mudguard?
what about the rear? a 20 in tyre under a nromal 19 mudguard will look strange?
this one offered by the spare company, has a special radious for 20 inches tyres? or is just a shortened rapide one ?

Didn't you see this p[icture earlier in this thread, 21" front and 20" rear with original standard guards ?
MUV7661968-1.jpg

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Thanks,
indeed it looks really nice and the space is nicely filled,
so no need for me to look for other mudguards!
Edmondo

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
According to Norman Peach, the man at the Factory who ran the wheel building shop, only '4 cross' was used postwar. Careful checking of prewar photos would tend to suggest that this was also prewar practice, though he couldn't swear to this. Checking the Parts List spoke length against, say, the Buchanon Co.'s spoke chart and you'll see that the chart would give a length maybe 1/8" too long. Norman said that in practice they often had to grind that much, more or less, off the end of the spoke to stop the end puncturing the rim tape. The factory was often in disagreement with the spoke suppliers - possibly because the suppliers found it easier to supply what they had, rather than what was ordered?

Hope this helps,
Frank Griffin