Vincent Land Speed Racers

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At Bonneville several years ago Steve said he was using 9,000 rpm as a target. Quite impressive for a twin. I have never gone to 9,000 rpm on the single, but I have seen 8500 rpm several times and Carleton Palmer once told me he had done the same. It is not necessarily wise to go up that high because often there is no benefit due to the cam's limitations. Most Vincent cams drop off in power at 6000 rpm, so there is little benefit in going higher. Carleton and I were both using John Renwick's cam, which did not gain power, but did not loose power at these rpm either. Normal redline is 7000 rpm, so you would only go higher by mistake or if you are in a battle with someone.

Steve was trying to get time on a spintron to test the engine's rpm limits, but the NASCAR guys, who have priority, kept bumping him down the list.

David

Howard

VOC Member
David, 8500 is impressive enough, my Comet would rev to 8000, and I've still got the broken valves and pistons to prove it!! Nomatter how red you draw the red line on the tacho it doesn't show up through the red mist on the track.

H

davidd

VOC Member
This is Mike Parti's racer:

index03.jpg

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
004.jpg003.jpg

Here's Bob Guptill's Very Fast 141+ MPH Norvin. Notice we both had 9A as our number. I think I was about the 4th Vincent to use it since the late 50's. Then, one year the SCTA told me I couldn't have it anymore as I wasn't a Southern Californian... and all the low numbers were for S.Cal bikes only.:mad:
Cheers, John

davidd

VOC Member
I was asked recently about a listing of the Bonneville records. I had remembered seeing one years ago, but could not find it. It turned out that the list was on a T-shirt for one of the rallies. Many of the bikes in this post are listed, so I thought it should go here:
Records at Bonneville.JPG

David