• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Vincent girdraulic forks

nahma

Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Just curious, with all the crazy things people have done to bikes I was wondering if anyone had
ever fitted Vincent girdraulic forks to a non-Vincent frame?

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Website Moderator
Yes, there is a rigid BSA (I think) with a Norton Commando engine that has been built in a board track racer style.

b'knighted

VOC Member
To fit Roadholders to a Vincent UFM a machined adapter had to be used.
If this was to compensate for the Roadholder's headstem being too long you'd have a problem with the frame having a longer headstock tube than the Girdraulic's stem. Could the Featherbed head tube be shortened?
If it was because the Roadholder's headstem was a smaller diameter you may have difficulties with bearings.
In the absence of spare Girdraulics, I fitted the Roadholders to someone else's Comet giving no additional thought to how it affected the trail. No steering problems were ever reported to me, and I saw other Vincents with Roadholders fitted, so that may not be a problem.

nahma

Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks, I was thinking a Norvin with gridraulic forks would look more "Lightningish" (was going to say "retro" but I hate that word)

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
They were used on many sidecar speedway outfits in Australia in the 70's due to their resistance to side-load induced flexing.

davidd

VOC Member
I do not think you will have great handling, but I think B'knighted is correct that it can be done. Terry Prince told me that the Vincent steering head angle is not ideal for telescopic forks. I am assuming the corollary would be true. However, I have not heard of any horror stories.

David

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Murphy's Law really is: " If there are several ways to do something and one will lead to complete disaster; eventually someone will do it."
This is what Murphy really said/observed.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't know if this is what Rip' means, But don't do it ,It may save a Life, It may be yours !! Cheers Bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 6yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.