Vincent girdraulic forks

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just curious, with all the crazy things people have done to bikes I was wondering if anyone had
ever fitted Vincent girdraulic forks to a non-Vincent frame?

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes, there is a rigid BSA (I think) with a Norton Commando engine that has been built in a board track racer style.

b'knighted

VOC Member
To fit Roadholders to a Vincent UFM a machined adapter had to be used.
If this was to compensate for the Roadholder's headstem being too long you'd have a problem with the frame having a longer headstock tube than the Girdraulic's stem. Could the Featherbed head tube be shortened?
If it was because the Roadholder's headstem was a smaller diameter you may have difficulties with bearings.
In the absence of spare Girdraulics, I fitted the Roadholders to someone else's Comet giving no additional thought to how it affected the trail. No steering problems were ever reported to me, and I saw other Vincents with Roadholders fitted, so that may not be a problem.

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks, I was thinking a Norvin with gridraulic forks would look more "Lightningish" (was going to say "retro" but I hate that word)

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
They were used on many sidecar speedway outfits in Australia in the 70's due to their resistance to side-load induced flexing.

davidd

VOC Member
I do not think you will have great handling, but I think B'knighted is correct that it can be done. Terry Prince told me that the Vincent steering head angle is not ideal for telescopic forks. I am assuming the corollary would be true. However, I have not heard of any horror stories.

David

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Murphy's Law really is: " If there are several ways to do something and one will lead to complete disaster; eventually someone will do it."
This is what Murphy really said/observed.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't know if this is what Rip' means, But don't do it ,It may save a Life, It may be yours !! Cheers Bill.