Vincent girdraulic forks

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Murphy's Law as it has come to be known is foolish.... it means that bad stuff is going to "just happen" , cosmic, like for no reason at all.
Things don't just happen, that's absurd.
Murphy was smarter than that.... what he said puts real cause in the right hands: the idiot that made it "happen".

vibrac

VOC Member
Knowing Nortons I think there are better things to spent 2K on than retro forks look in the RGM catalog
anyway some of the early Norton forks are fine candidates and may simply fit

Back when major towns had motorcycle shops one in Aylesbury had a large RSJ running across the ceiling on on it was chalked

"THE ORIGINAL NORTON GIRDER"

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There was a V8 drag bike that had Girdraulics. Despite the incorrect spelling, this article is not lying, it was in fact fitted with the forks and headstock off a genuine Lightning. The ex Martz/Auger Vincent drag bike was parted out after its racing days, and the front end ended up in the hands of the builder of this V8 drag bike. When the current owner of the Lightning tracked down the headstock, it was still fitted to the drag bike, and the owner would not sell the headstock separately, so the current Lightning owner bought the whole V8 drag bike in order to reunite 2 major components.

The V8 drag bike is featured in a nice poster.

davidd

VOC Member
Yes, thanks for the story. I had run across the poster several years ago in Wolgang's Vault. I sent it around, but nobody responded. I would also note that the Soul Survivors were not the Philidelphia band that did "Expressway to Your Heart" but a different Denver band. I think one of the members ended up in Sugarloaf that did the song Green Eyed Lady. Jimmerfield Legend was a San Francisco band, I believe, and most know the Box Tops.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
yes the bottom links on castle forks are a bit prone to misbehave
but with a rough inferior fitting girdralics wouldn't matter since BS were a bitsa anyway.... :)

ksbundy

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I fitted a set to a Yamaha XS 750 triple that I was racing on speedway back in the 80's (it was my spare bike when the Vincent was broken). I will be fitting these to my T100 when I fit a side car. There is a Norton SS and Tillbrok chair with a set fitted and he also has a set fitted to a Norton powered speedway sidecar as well. The reason is that the trail can be set up better than with telescopic forks to give better handling. Leading link forks work better as well.
ksbundy.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
There was a V8 drag bike that had Girdraulics. Despite the incorrect spelling, this article is not lying, it was in fact fitted with the forks and headstock off a genuine Lightning. The ex Martz/Auger Vincent drag bike was parted out after its racing days, and the front end ended up in the hands of the builder of this V8 drag bike. When the current owner of the Lightning tracked down the headstock, it was still fitted to the drag bike, and the owner would not sell the headstock separately, so the current Lightning owner bought the whole V8 drag bike in order to reunite 2 major components.

The V8 drag bike is featured in a nice poster.
None of the links work.