Terry Prince Top End Kit

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Terry is what you might call a quiet achiever. From his early days with Fritz Egli through to the TPV and RTV then onto Bonneville, he has spent over 50 years working on and developing Vincents. Never one to blow his own trumpet he just did what he does best. A well deserved recipient of honorary membership of the VOC.

( never one to blow his own horn ) ? ,you don't do what Terry has done with out a TooT now and then:)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have Terry's older style crank. Quite a difference from the new ones.

Terry still makes the shorter stroked cranks full round for standard stroke sizes and oversized strokes up to 98 mm At 98 mm stroke he switches to the porkchop or bobweight style.

This is done to provide more material for the press fit of the pin. At 98 mm and beyond he found that the flywheel material outside of the pin yielded too easily to the interference fit, which is an extra tight one as with the Picador. When he makes the switch to Bobweight style he also changes to a larger big end pin and oversized mainshafts. The mainshafts are 30mm as opposed to 25.4 mm for a standard mainshaft. This means the bearings are considerably larger , so the cases must be machined for this. Original Vincent cases wont work with the larger mainshafts as the 72 mm od bearing is larger than the bearing housing.
I have Terry's older style crank. Quite a difference from the new ones.

davidd

VOC Member
Glen,

Thanks for the contributions! I heard from Terry last night and he has a few kits left at $3,700 AUD. His next batch will be in a few months and the price is going up a bit due to a change in the machining process.

Terry has been making these for decades and I thought many owners would enjoy seeing the details of the kit. No kick backs to me! I think this is the golden age for these kinds of parts. If you wish to do something like this do what Glen has done and do not wait too long!

David

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Glen,

Thanks for the contributions! I heard from Terry last night and he has a few kits left at $3,700 AUD. His next batch will be in a few months and the price is going up a bit due to a change in the machining process.

Terry has been making these for decades and I thought many owners would enjoy seeing the details of the kit. No kick backs to me! I think this is the golden age for these kinds of parts. If you wish to do something like this do what Glen has done and do not wait too long!

David

Times have certainly changed, Terry built the two cranks for the liner at cost price in 2002 for $3500 us that included the 4 muffs. Robert Watson gave the money left over from the VIBRAC effort to John Mc Dougel, John sent the money on to Terry and as the liner would be companied under my banner once again I paid the rest.

The cranks are different and are one offs . They can be viewed on a old thread , this forum titled engine build, go to page 5 then go to post 6 there you will find pictures of the massive main shafts and the Timpkin taper bearings drive side.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Hi, Glen, looks tasty, if you think you had to "tickle-up" the cases to get the crank in, wait till you try to get the cams to rotate freely! Regards, roy.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Glen, looks tasty, if you think you had to "tickle-up" the cases to get the crank in, wait till you try to get the cams to rotate freely! Regards, roy.

I expect there will be obstacles in the timing chest! So far I have altered the cases in eight locations just fitting the trans and crank. I found that the piston skirts were hitting, the oil pump sleeve was catching on the outer mainbearing race etc etc.

Someone here was fitting Prince mk 5or Mk 4 cams and used the e standard Hummingbird skeleton valve lifter arrangement. Apparently it can be done but requires many hours with the die grinder in hand. Perhaps I read that in one of your posts, Roy.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Times have certainly changed, Terry built the two cranks for the liner at cost price in 2002 for $3500 us that included the 4 muffs. Robert Watson gave the money left over from the VIBRAC effort to John Mc Dougel, John sent the money on to Terry and as the liner would be companied under my banner once again I paid the rest.

The cranks are different and are one offs . They can be viewed on a old thread , this forum titled engine build, go to page 5 then go to post 6 there you will find pictures of the massive main shafts and the Timpkin taper bearings drive side.
I would say that Terry made a donation to your effort. Even at 2002 Prices the cranks were probably worth close to 3 k each.

Glen