Terry Prince Top End Kit

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hmmm, couldn't complete that reply with a Samsung Galaxy tablet, which always worked fine on the old forum. Is there a new spot for the edit button?
Continuing on with a PC instead-
Terry has increased cooling fin area from stock by quite a lot, this prevents overheating and reduces hp loss due to heat. Other changes/power enhancements include the suitable large and gas flowed intake ports, probably version number ten or eleven by now, these are currently 38mm for the intake, unless he has changed them again since my heads were cast. The exhaust port is fairly small and D shaped with a raised floor to prevent exhaust gas reversion. This is another trick that drag racers and some Nascar engine builders use to get more power from their engines.

Glen

davidd

VOC Member
David,
Interesting. Not what I was expecting, it all looks very recognisable as Vincent parts. Oil holes in the rocker feed bolts look big, do they use metering wires? What are all the studs to?
Graham,
The photos look more impressive on this new look forum.
H

I understand that the special studs are used so that you can get the maximum bore without moving the stud holes in the case. If you look at the head you can see that the original stud holes pierce the area where the cylinder liner lip sits. I believe the studs are small enough in diameter to pass by the liner lip without fowling.

I do think most of the other parts are interchangeable. It uses the long rocker bearings which most owners are familiar with. The pistons are CP pistons and come with rings, pin and clips. There is also an aluminum plug that I did not photo. It is a dummy plug for a spark plug hole in case you choose to run a single plug.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Looks like a better way of piping the oil to the rockers and less chance of leaks without ET189 rocker feed bolt washers. Looks as if it may be drilled and tapped for twin plugs too.

Eddy,

I think it is a more serviceable set up. The rocker feed bolt has an O-ring on it to do the sealing. The manifold has an O-ring as do the valve guides. No joggle wire necessary.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
. There is also an aluminum plug that I did not photo. It is a dummy plug for a spark plug hole in case you choose to run a single plug.

David

What a miss a chance to fit a RE decompressor and loose all that spider scaffold in the timing chest?

davidd

VOC Member
Close up of heads that Glen mentioned in his post. I concur on the detonation issue. I mentioned this in Martyn's post on his piston seizure. Twin plugs in general won't give you more power, but they will reduce detonation, which allows you to do the things that will get you more power. On a single, reducing the chance of detonation is quite useful because of the rapid heating issues.

David

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I love this thread , praising a mans work, pointing out improvements over standard Vincent parts. raising the volumetric efficiency of the Vin , NASCAR, DRAGRACERS, making power, how its done, talking to the theoretical,
speaking to the evolution of the TP heads, and the years it took to get there. A great promotional thread and a well deserved tribute to racer friend. Threads like this are to let the uninformed be informed as what is going on in the Vincent world and of course lets not forget the ones that cover oil leaks and the such, its all good stuff and most of all its Vincent guys talking about Vincent stuff.

Best Max

Gone fast , going to go faster :)

Albervin

VOC Member
Terry is what you might call a quiet achiever. From his early days with Fritz Egli through to the TPV and RTV then onto Bonneville, he has spent over 50 years working on and developing Vincents. Never one to blow his own trumpet he just did what he does best. A well deserved recipient of honorary membership of the VOC.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Terry is what you might call a quiet achiever. From his early days with Fritz Egli through to the TPV and RTV then onto Bonneville, he has spent over 50 years working on and developing Vincents. Never one to blow his own trumpet he just did what he does best. A well deserved recipient of honorary membership of the VOC.

Me and Big Sid (rest his SP?) do and did wag our own tail, Big Sid was a well deserved recipient of honorary
membership of the VOC which no one can deny !

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Got to know Terry and Ursla pretty well during his stay at my place and at Bonny , the cranks and muffs
in the worlds most powerful Vincent was his doing , would vote for him in a heart beat for H.M. and its not because I never heard him express pride in his work.